Last week I was busy. My cousins visited our home. We spent the whole day chitchatting and watching movies. The next day, my brother went out to meet his friends. One of my cousins asked me to prepare a pizza which she has been demanding for a long time. I prepared vegetable pizza rite from kneading the dough (of course, left the kneading part to them :)) The pizza came up well and so it was gone in 60 secs :). Only then, I remembered that my brother had went out to meet his friends and didn’t save any pizza for him. So I wanted to prepare something for my bro too. Last Monday was his birthday and to celebrate the occasion, I prepared this rainbow cupcake.I surprised him with this colorful rainbow cupcakes when he returned home.
I have been trying to bake this cake for a long time. Baking colorful cakes is a bit time consuming. But every minute spent is is worth and satisfying after seeing its outcome. I have bookmarked this recipe almost a year ago from Baking Bites after baking this colorful Suji Crystal Cookies. I used more colours whereas in the original recipe, it has only 4 colours. It is up to you to use less or more colours based on the availability.
Try baking this colourful rainbow cupcakes for Merry Christmas.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 10 nos
All purpose flour / Plain flour / Maida – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Oil / Melted butter at room temperature – 1/2 cup
Eggs- 2 nos, large size
Butter milk – 1/2 cup (see notes)
Vanilla essence – 2 teaspoons
Food colours – Red, Green, Blue and Yellow
For Butter Cream Frosting: (For 10 cupcakes)
Butter – 1/3 cup
Icing sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
1) Mix all the dry ingredients(All purpose flour, baking powder and salt) in a medium size mixing bowl.
2) Mix sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla essence in another large size mixing bowl.
3) Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
4) Mix well without any lumps. You will get a smooth creamy batter.
5) Divide this white batter into 6 equal parts(approximately 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon).
6) Preheat the oven to 175C(350F) for 10 minutes and line the cupcake try with cupcake liners. Keep it aside.
7) Mix food colour to each of the bowls.
Red – 1/2 cap
Green – 1/2 cap
Blue – 1/2 cap
Yellow – 1/2 cup
Orange – mix both red and yellow
Purple – mix both red and blue
Increase or decrease the food colouring as per required colour texture. If you like more vivid colours increase / decrease the food colour accordingly.
8) Start from purple, start pouring the batter to the cupcake tray (approximately 1 tablespoon). Do not mix the batter. If it is overlapping by itself, no worries, it is perfectly fine.
9) Bake it for 15 minutes in preheated oven.
10) Transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and cool completely.
1) Beat the butter till it becomes soft, creamy and fluffy.
2) Add icing sugar slowly and make a creamy paste.
3) Add vanilla essence and beat it again.
4) Transfer the frosting to the piping bag and you can create your favorite frosting patterns on the cupcakes. I made very simple patterns as all my cousins were waiting for it to grab.
1) I baked for two servings totally 24 cupcakes and both the times, I got perfect spongy cupcakes.
2) When I made this dish for the first batch, even after adding vanilla essence, I felt the smell of egg slightly. So if you want, you can add more vanilla essence to the cake batter.
3) If you don’t have buttermilk at home, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in the 1/2 cup of milk and keep aside for 5 minutes. You can use this as a substitute for butter milk. I have tried this and it gave perfect results.
Those cupcakes look very colorful and loved the clicks too…send me some plz
Rainbow cakes look super cute 🙂
They are perfect beauties dear…
colorful and beautiful ..
That's a color full B'day treat! Belated Birthday Wishes to your Bro! 🙂
Hi there. Food on Friday: Muffins and Cupcakes is open for entries. This looks like a neat one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Please check out some of the great links there are already. Cheers
Luvly clicks!!!soo tempting….looks adorable..
Looks colorful uma well done
Super colorful cupcakes, nicely made and beautifully explained too
wow…cupcakes looks more colorful n attractive..so soft n moist cakes…well done Uma!
Aw …cute cupcakes :))
colorful and cute cupcake
wow..super cool cup cakes..great…..nice blog vth tasty recipes..
BTW visit my space if gets sum time n check out my new facebook page dear..
Wow!! That's a beautiful and colorful cupcake.. Cant stop admiring..
Lovely colors dear…such a tempting cupcake…
wow lovely colors, nice effort… yummy…
Raw Garlic Chutney/Dip
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Wish our life is as colourful as your cupcakes..So beautiful and eye catching
wow colorful cute cupcakes, so tempting…
Today's Special – Eggless Rasmalai from Scratch
chance illa,really super rainbow cake uma,nice treat!!
Super cute cupcakes, am planning to make some too..Love to grab and have one rite now.My midnite craving:).
beautiful colors,yummy cupcakes!
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors
wow…what a visual treat… the cakes look fantastic…
These cupcakes look sensational and so fun!!! Love the splash of colour!!
What a lovely blog you have here! As fellow foodies we can't wait to read more! New follower here!
Chloe & Sarah
Amazing cupcakes! I love them!
Hello! Excuse my English, I hope you can understand me! I love your blog, I have discovered by the magazine "Baked Delights" and I was amazed! I love cupcakes and this … is spectacular! If you give me your permission, I took him to my kitchen. I love them 🙂
Sorry .. I've a question
What kind of food coloring you use? I have a food coloring paste, but I get the feeling that yours is liquid? Thank you!
Hi Laura – queteapetecehoy, I am glad that you liked this Rainbow cupcake. You are correct. I used liquid food coloring. I use sliverspoon and Dr.Oetker food colouring.
Again your rainbow cupcake make me drooling.. What a colorful clicks for the eyes and colorful treat for the mouth…