My mom makes chutney(Thogayal) using Ridge Gourd(It is also known as Chinese Okra) and also using its skin. But I like the second version which is prepared using ridge gourd skin.
There are many methods to prepare this chutney but I always go for the below described method every time to save time. It goes good with both dosa and idly. It can be served with rice too.
Remember to prepare this chutney only when the ridge gourd is fresh and not giving any bitter taste. Check it by peeling the skin and taste a very small pinch of inside soft flesh. It should not taste bitter. So don’t discard the peel/ skin of the ridge gourd here after after making a curry. Instead, make this delicious chutney.
Here is the video of the same recipe.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
Ridge gourd skins – 1 and 1/2 cup, roughly chopped (Skin/Peel from 2 big Ridge Ggurds)
Urad dal – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Tamarind – 1 small pinch, soak in 3 tablespoons of water
Salt – to taste
Dry red chillies – 4 nos
Asafoetida – a big pinch
Oil – 4 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 string
1) Take a kadai/ frying pan. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in it.
2) Add urid dal and dry red chillies. Fry it till it releases nice aroma to the kitchen.
3) Transfer to a medium size plate.
4) In the same pan/kadai, add chopped ridge gourd skins. Fry till it get cooked and sometimes crispy.
5) Once done, transfer it to the same plate. Allow all the fried ingredients to cool to room temperature.
6) Then, Blend all the cooled ingredients along with soaked tamarind with its water. Make a fine paste of it. Add salt as per your taste.
7) Prepare a seasoning with remaining oil, mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and add it to the prepared chutney.
8) Serve with dosa or idly.
1) I sometimes add a tablespoon of channa dal to prepare this chutney along with urad dal. If you pefer, please add it, there is a slight change in taste.