Usually festivals or functions in my place are accompanied by cultural activities & shows all through the night. The whole family gather for a get together in the night and prepare sumptuous quantity of savories and sweets.This is the case in my family as well as we witnessed a birthday celebration few weeks back. We planned to celebrate it at home with all goodies prepared by the members of my family.
But it doesn’t look good if we imagine a birthday party without cakes & cookies. Isn’t it? Cake cutting has become an important custom in our birthdays. Our birthday party too had a huge cake with cute cupcakes and cookies. I prepared 3 types of cookies and 2 types of cupcakes.
One of them was a chocolate cupcake. Ofcource my aim was attracting the kids who show up for the b’day party. I prepared frosting using Oreo flavoured butter cream and a Oreo cookie. Please don’t look out for Oreo frosting here in this blog. The reason being I was frosting the cupcakes just hours before the B’day party and was unable to click the picture using my DSLR.
I have made this cupcakes for different occasions with various frosting techniques which from Joy of Baking and I know it never fails me.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 16- 20 minutes
Makes: 15 cup cakes
All purpose flour / Maida – 1 and 1/3 cup
Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Boiling water – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 1/2 cup, at room temperature
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
Eggs – 2 nos., at room temperature
For Oreo Butter Cream Frosting:
Oreo cookies – 5 nos, center cream removed and crushed to a course powder.
Unsalted Butter – 2/3 cup, at room temperature
Icing sugar / Confectioners sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
Oreo cookies – 8 or as required
1) Line the cupcake tray with cupcake liner.
2) Preheat the oven to 190C or 375F for 15 minutes.
3) Meanwhile prepare the cup cake batter. Mix all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Keep it aside.
4) Mix cocoa powder to the boiling water and beat till there are no lumps. Keep aside to cool down.
5) In a mixing bowl, cream both butter and sugar till fluffy.
6) Add one egg at a time and beat in between.
7) Add vanilla essence.
8) Add dry ingredients and beat just until incorporated.
9) Add cooled cocoa mixture to it and stir until smooth.
10) Pour this batter to the lined cupcake tray and till 3/4th of the cupcake liner is filled.
11) Bake it for 16 – 20 minutes. Mine is done at 15 minutes perfectly.
12) Insert a tooth pick and it should come out clean when the cakes are fully cooked.
13) Cool in a wire rack and frost it with your favorite frosting. I did the below frosting.
For Orea Butter Cream Frosting:
1) Beat butter till it becomes fluffy.
2) Add vanilla extract and icing sugar. Beat till you get a creamy texture.
3) At last add crushed Oreo cookies and fold them nicely.
4) Pipe them to any shape and place half part of Oreo cookies on top it.
5) Serve and enjoy.
1) Only when the cupcakes are cooled down completely, frost them. Till that time, refrigerate the frosting mixture.