Sprouted Moong Dal is a healthy, nutritious and it can be eaten raw as salad or as a snack or as a main course after cooking it with rice or gravy. It is high in protein and good source of dietary fiber.
For sprouting, clean the moong dal in a running water three or four times. then, soak it for overnight. once it is soaked well, drain the water using the colander. the water has to be completely drained out but slightly wet when touched. Now cover this and keep aside for 18 hours to 24 hours for sprouting.
The making of this biryani is very easy if the sprouted moong bean is readily available. I have used basmati rice for making this biryani. You can use hand bounded rice or brown rice in order to make it healthy.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 tbsp ghee
1 small cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small onion, sliced
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
¾ cup sprouted moongdal
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
¾ tsp garam masala
1 cup basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
1 and ½ cup water
A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Method with step by step Pictures:
1) Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Once it is melted, add cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaf and fennel seeds. Allow it crackle.
2) Add onion and saute till soft and translucent.
3) Add freshly minced ginger and garlic. Mix well and saute for a minute.
4) Add sprouted moong dal, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir well and cook till the raw smell of it goes off.
5) Add a cup of basmati rice. The basmati rice is washed well and soaked for 30 minutes.
6) Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste.
7) Mix gently without breaking the rice.
8) Add a handful of coriander leaves and mix again.
9) Cover the pressure cooker using lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
10) Let the pressure releases automatically.
11) Once the pressure released, remove the lid and fluff the rice.
12) Serve hot with raita.
1) Biryani is served as lunch along with any raita.
2) It can also be served with any gravy.
1) If the sprouted moong dal is ready, then the making of this biryani is easy.
2) I followed package instructions for cooking the basmati rice. please follow the rice and water quantity as per the basmati rice brand you use.
3) Adjust the spice level according to your personal preference.
4) You may add other vegetables along with moongdal.