Sprouted Moong dal salad or mung dal chaat can be prepared in less than minutes, if the sprouted moong dal is readily available. For sprouting the moong dal, I usually wash and soak the moong dal overnight. The mext day, drain the water completely, cover it using a lid with very light air circulation and keep it aside for 8 hours for sprouting. You can follow the traditional sprouting method or simply sprout it in a casserole which has lid. I will post the detailed method of sprouting the moong dal in both the ways in the upcoming posts.
Basic moong salad or chaat recipe uses onion, tomato and some spices. But it can be very well customized according to personal need. Variations can be made using boiled potato, cucumber, pomegranate, fine sev, crushed pappad, boiled sweet potato, grated carrot, chopped capsicum etc., I added only salt, pepper, chaat masala and lemon juice for seasoning. I love to consume raw moong dal. However, you can boil it and use it in this salad.
Sprouts are nutrient dense food and best plant based source of protein. It is good for heart(lower the LDL cholestraol level) and diabetic friendly as it is good source of antioxidants. It is also a good source of potassium, magnesium and fiber, it reduce the blood pressure levels and help insulin to work properly. Consuming moong bean reduces the hunger and gives the fullness and thus perfectly suits for those who want to reduce weight. This salad can be consumed for a healthy weight loss and it is very easy to prepare.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Sprouted Moong Dal – 2 cups
Onion – ½ cup, finely chopped
Tomato – ½ cup, deseeded and finely chopped
Potato – ½ cup, boiled and chopped
Cucumber – ¼ cup, finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – to taste
Lemon juice – juice from ½ lemon
Method with Stepwise Pictures:
1) In a mixing bowl, add sprouted moong dal, onion, tomato, potato, cucumber and coriander leaves.
2) Add salt to taste, chaat masala, black pepper powder and at last squeeze the lemon juice.
3) Mix everything well. Taste and adjust the salt and other things if any.
4) Serve immediately.
1) It can be served as a evening snack. However it is good to have as a breakfast due to it’s high protein in nature.
1) Deseed the tomato before adding it to salad.
2) Eat the salad immediately after preparing it. If you are planning to consume it after sometime, add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and chaat masala just before consuming it.
3) you can very well customize the salad ingredients according to your personal preference – for example, you can add pomegranate, shredded carrot etc.,