Beach style Peanut chaat | Boiled Peanut Chaat | Beach verkadalai sundal | mungfali chaat | masala groundnut chaat – what ever might be the name, it is an addictive, easy to make, spicy and tangy salad that stole your heart. If the boiled peanuts are in hands, then the making of this salad will be prepared in less than 5 minutes. Chaat based salad recipes are very common and prepared across india as an evening snack.
Boiled peanut chaat is a healthy evening snacks for kids and adults. If you happen to be beach person, then you must love this peanut chaat over any deep fried dishes sold over there. The sundal or chaat that is being served in beaches uses raw mango, onion, tomato, cucumber as their main ingredients. However, one can alter it very well according to the taste.
Fresh red onion or white onion tastes good for this salad. Deseed the tomato and then chop it finely while adding it to this chaat. otherwise the chaat becomes watery. this salad can be prepared well in advance and it is perfect for picnic. Just add the spices, salt and lemon juice just before serving for best results.
Both Raw peanuts or dry peanuts works great. If it is raw peanuts it can be pressure cooked /boiled immediately. Otherwise it needs to be soaked in water for 8 hours and then it has to be pressure cooked. Carrot can be grated or finely chopped for this salad. Raw mango is the must ingredient for this salad which gives unique tangy taste with lemon juice.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes for cooking peanut
1 cup boiled peanut
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato, finely chopped and deseeded
¼ cup cucumber, chopped
¼ cup carrot, grated
¼ cup raw mango, chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Salt to taste
¼ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp chaat masala
Juice from ½ small size lemon (approx. 2 tsp)
Method with stepwise pictures:
1) Soak the peanuts over night and pressure cook it for 3 whistles by adding little water. Once cooked, drain the water and keep the peanuts aside.
2) When the peanuts are cooking, chop the vegetables needed for this salad.
3) In a mixing bowl, add peanuts, onion, tomato, cucumber, carrot, raw mango, coriander leaves.
4) Add salt to taste, red chilli powder and chaat masala. Towards the end, squeeze out of the juice from the half small size lemon.
5) Mix well and serve immediately.
1) Perfect snack to carry for a picnic.
2) It can be served as an after school snack for kids.
3) It can be served as an evening snack along with tea.
1) If you use dry peanuts, soak it overnight. if you are getting fresh peanuts, it can be boiled immediately and used for this salad.
2) For beach sundal, generally onion, tomato, carrot, mango are the main ingredients but you can very well alter it according to your personal taste.