It is hard to find someone who doesn’t like Hot spongy idlies, a southindian breakfast recipe. But if it is not served hot, then it is very difficult to enjoy it’s texture and taste. Idlies have to be served hot and as soon as they are steamed for it’s perfect taste.
I am someone who loves idlies only when it isserved hot. If it becomes cold, then instead of reheating it, I usually give a new makeover. This idly upma is one among them and it can be prepared in a jiffy, needs very less ingredients which every south indian household has it. There are many other recipes using leftover/cold idlies but this is the very simple, beginner recipe and it can be tried by anyone if the idlies are readily available. The method I have shown here works out well for both homemade and store bought idlies.
I used green chilli, curry leaves and onion for seasoning it. One can skip onion but adding onion gives a nice flavor and crunch while eating it. Idly upma can be customized by adding nuts or vegetables as per personal preference.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
4 Leftover Idlies
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp channa dal
1 green chilli
1 sprig curry leaves
¾ cup onion, chopped
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Crumble the idly without any big lumps. I stored my leftover idlies in refrigerator. So, I dipped the idlies in water and then crumbled it. It helps to to crumble the idlies easily and gives a nice moist to the upma. Keep it aside.
2) Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and channa dal. Fry it till it is golden brown.
3) Add green chilli and curry leaves. Allow it to splutter.
4) Add onion, turmeric powder and salt. Saute it till is soft and translucent.
5) Add the crumbled idly. Start mixing it slowly. Once it is mixed well, add the coriander leaves.
6) Mix again and serve hot.
1) Idly upma can be served as an evening tiffin or as a breakfast.
2) Idly upma can be eaten as it is or it can be served with coconut or any your favorite chutney.
1) Dipping the idlies in hot water gives smooth crumbling of idlies irrespective of it is hard or soft.
2) Idly upma can be customised by adding nuts and vegetables.
3) Tastes better when served hot.