Pineapple Pachadi or Annasi Pala Pachadi or Kaithachakka Pachadi is prepared with step by step picture in kerala style.
It is one of the greatest recipes of onam sadya. In this recipe, small pineapple chunks cooked in water, then ground coconut along with some spices is added. Finally curd is mixed and then the very flavorful seasoning is added.
Based on the sweetness of the pineapple the jaggery is added. If the pineapple is too sweet, then we can skip the jaggery or add only a small quantity.
Use only fresh coconut for best result and coconut oil for seasoning. It is overall sweet, spicy and tangy gravy or raita goes very well with hot steamed rice.
Add curd/yogurt only after switching off the flame to avoid curdling. After adding curd, the pachadi becomes watery. So ensure the pineapple and ground coconut masala are cooked to a thick consistency before adding curd.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 to 15 minutes
3/4 cup pineapple, 1/2 inch cube
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/2 cup water
1 tsp jaggery
1/4 cup curd, beaten
1/3 cup coconut, grated
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli
1 tbsp water to grind the coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp mustards seeds
5 fenugreek seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3 dry red chilies
3 shallots, thinly sliced
Method with step by step pictures:
1. In a pan, add pineapple chunks, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and water.
2. Cook pineapple. Pineapple has to be firm yet cooked well. It takes 3 to 5 minutes. Add jaggery if using.
3. Meanwhile, grind coconut, green chilli, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Grind it to a fine paste by adding a tbsp of water.
4. Add this ground coconut to the pineapple. Rinse the jar with little water and add it to the pan again. Mix well and cook till the coconut becomes slightly thick.
5. Once it is cooked, turn off the stove and wait for half minute to one minute.
6. Add curd and mix well.
7. In another pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, onion and dry red chilies. Fry till the onion becomes golden brown.
8. Add this seasoning to the pachadi and serve.
1. Serve it with hot steamed rice with papad.
2. Serve it as one of the dish in onam sadya.
1. Choose uniform size pineapple for uniform cooking. It can be either small or big chunks but make sure the chunks are uniform.
2. Addition of jaggery can be adjusted or ignored in this recipe. It is a personal preference and based on the sweetness of the pineapple and spicy level of the green chilli we add.
3. For better taste serve hot. Leftover can be stored in refrigerator. For reheating, please place the bowl in a hot warm until it gets warm and then serve with rice. Pachadi should not be boiled or reheated as we have added curd. So always warm it up using hot water.