This is what I prepared using the soft stems of ponnaganni keerai(Click here to see how to prepare Ponnaganni Keerai Stir fry). I have prepared many times using various other stems of other greens. Only thing you have to notice is the stem should be tender and soft.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Tender stems of any green – 2 cups, chopped
Channa dal – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1 small no, finely chopped
Green chilli – 2-3 nos
Curry leaves – 1 string
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder – a small pinch
Fresh coconut – 2 tablespoons, grated
1) Soak channa dal for 10 minutes.
2) Pressure cook it along with chopped stems. Add 1/4 cup of water to pressure cook. Drain the excess water once pressure cooked.
3) In a pan/ Kadai, heat oil.
4) Add mustard seeds followed by curry leaves and green chillies when the oil is hot.
5) Add onion. Saute for a minute.
6) Add the stem, channa dal mixture to it. Mix well. Add salt and turmeric powder. Cook for a minute.
7) Add grated coconut. Mix well and turn off the heat.
8) Serve with any of your favourite gravy and steamed rice.
1) You can use dry red chilli instead of green chilli.
2) Make sure not to mushy channa dal and stems.