Kale is a kind of green leaf and also known as Leaf cabbage. There are many varieties of kale available in which green and purple leaves with the curly or plain shapes are commonly found in the markets.
Kale is known as king of all healthy greens. It is sold in market round the year and the cultivation differs from region to region.
Kale is very good for health as it is low in calorie and fat, high in antioxidants good source of Vitamin C and K and lower the blood cholesterol. It is also said that the kale controls the cancer cells in a body.
I have used curly kale(also known as scots kale) in this recipe which works out well for this stir fry. It has thick stem or midrib in it. One needs to remove this stem before cooking.
As it is available easily in the nearby market, I buy it often and make many dishes like stir fry, kootu, chips and smoothies. As a first step, sharing the recent favorite stir fry with you all and other recipes to follow.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Asafoetida – a small pinch
Dry red chilli – 3
Garlic – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Kale – 1 bunch (about 3 cups), finely chopped
Water – 1 to 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Clean and wash the kale leaves in water. Remove the midrib. chop the leaves finely.
2) Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. let it splutter. Add asafoetida.
3) Add chopped garlic and fry the garlic well till it is half cooked.
4) Add dry red chillies and fry just a second.
5) Add the chopped onion. Saute till the onion becomes soft and translucent.
6) Add chopped kale. Stir it well.
7) Add 2 tablespoon water and salt to taste. Mix well and cook on a medium flame till the kale is reduced in its quantity and cooked well. Kale take a bit long time unlike other greens.
8) Once the kale is cooked, add the grated coconut. Mix well.
9) Serve hot.
1) The kale recipe shown here is prepared in south Indian style. so it goes well with rasam rice.
2) It can be served as a side dish for any rice based dishes for lunch.
Kale stir fry is packed with garlic rice, potato fry for the lunchbox.For more lunchbox ideas, check my instagram.
1) I used tender kale leaves which works out best for this recipe.
2) Make sure to chop the kale finely.
3) I have added 2 tbsp garlic as the flavor goes very well with kale leaves.
4) Add salt only after the kale is reduced in it size.