Vegetables hakka noodles is one the favorite dishes for many kids. It is an indo chinese dish where the noodles are boiled in hot water and then mixed with vegetables and sauces. Though the preparation is very easy, the sauce plays the major role in making the dish delicious.The recipe explained here is the very basic one in which the sauce can be changed according to the preference.
Prefer to toss the noodles in thick bottom wok, so it spreads the heat evenly and all the vegetables stay crisp and cooks fast. As I do not have the one in my temporary place where I stay now, cooked it in the usual pan by adjusting the heat now and then.
While cooking the noodles, make sure to stir it well and gently so that it doesn’t stick together. Once the noodles is cooked, drain the water immediately and rinse it in cold water to avoid cooking further and to retain the shape.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1, generously
Gingelly oil – 3 tsp
Garlic – 1 tbsp
Spring onion – 1 tbsp + bottom part of 2 spring onion
Onion – ¼ cup
Celery – 2 tbsp
Carrot – ¼ cup
Beans – ¼ cup
Cabbage – ¼ cup
Capsicum – ¼ cup
Soy sauce – ½ tsp
Vinegar – ½ tsp
Tomato Ketchup – 1/4 tsp
Black pepper – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Hakka Noodles – 100 gram
Method with step wise pictures:
1) Heat 3 cups of water and when it is getting warm, add the 100 gram noodles to it. I have used ching’s veg hakka noodles.
2) Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. I took approx. 12 minutes to cook it.
3) Once the noodles is cooked, drain the water and rinse gently it cold water and keep aside. this step is required otherwise the noodles will stick each other.
4) In a pan, heat gingelly oil. When it is hot, add garlic, bottom part of 2 spring onions, onion and celery.
5) saute till the onion becomes soft.
6) Add carrot, beans, cabbage and capsicum one by one. Stir and saute the vegetable in high heat to cook them. Make sure the vegetables are retaining its shape.
7) Once the vegetables are cooked, add soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, pepper and salt. Mix quickly. You may need to reduce the flame to low, to avoid the soy sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan. mix well.
8) Add the cooked noodles and mix quickly to blend everything well.
9) Garnish with chopped spring onions.
10) Serve hot.
1) It can be served as a lunch or for dinner along with tomato ketchup.
Vegetable hakka noodles packed with Tomato ketchup and cantaloupe. For more lunchbox ideas, please check here. It is suitable for both kids and adults.
1) I packed this lunchbox for my kid and according to her taste, added 1/4 tsp tomato ketchup. it may be skipped.