Idly Karam Podi is a kind of spicy powder which is served with idly and dosa. It has key ingredients of channa dal and urad dal. At my home, we call it as Karappodi and it is my favorite among all podies. It tastes good when mixed with hot boiled rice. Since i like this combination, i also eat this podi with rice.
This powder has many variations and it slightly differ from the one which i blogged here. It is mixed with oil to the ratio of 1:2 (1 teaspoon powder: 2 teaspoon oil) while serving for Idly/Dosa.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Makes – 1 and 3/4 cups powder
Urad dal – 1 cup
Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
Dry red chillies – 15 dry red chillies
Salt – to taste
Garlic – 3 cloves
Method with step by step pictures:
1) In a dry pan, add channa dal and dry roast it.
2) After few minutes, Add urad dal, red chillies. Dry roast all the ingredients till they become golden brown. It might take 10-15 minutes.
3) When dry roasting is done, allow it to cool.
4) Add the roasted dals into the mixer/food processor and grind it to a powder.
5) Towards the end of the grinding, add the chopped garlic cloves and grind for few minutes.
6) As per your liking, grind it to a smooth powder or coarse powder.
1) Serve it as a side dish for idly and dosa. mix it with gingelly oil generously and serve.
2) Goes well with Hot rice.
1) Dry roast all the ingredients without oil. if you add oil, make it in very less quantity.
2) Add curry leaves if you have it.