Easy-to-follow whole wheat double chocolate chip muffins that satisfy your instant chocolate craving. These are nutritious, fiber-rich, and chocolatey.
About Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Muffins
A couple of years back, I tried making Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Muffins and they turned out super soft and delicious with the right amount of sweetness. After that, they become regular in my kitchen. All you need is to gather the ingredients put them together in a bowl, and bake it. You will get a moist and fluffy muffin as a result of it in no time. I would recommend this recipe for a guilt-free treat.
Why do we love it?
- It uses whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. It is a nutritious and healthier option compared to refined flour aka all-purpose flour. It is loaded with dietary fiber and helps easy digestion. I was initially skeptical about using whole wheat flour instead of regular all-purpose flour, but it gave the muffins a nice flavor and extra fiber.
- Double chocolate flavor. The double chocolate flavor takes these muffins to the next level and made them extra decadent and a perfect treat for any chocolate lover.
- All-rounder. They make a great breakfast. For a busy morning, it can be grabbed or you can eat with a mug of coffee in a relaxing manner sitting on the kitchen breakfast countertop. It also suits you well for evening snacks or as an after-dinner treat for satisfying one’s sweet tooth.
I used fine-textured wheat flour for making this recipe. All Indian type wheat flour used for making roti works well for this recipe. Also, In chocolate based muffins, it is hard to spot the difference between wheat flour and all purpose flour. so, wheat flour is one of my best choices for baking healthy chocolate-based recipes.
I used 100% unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe for a rich chocolate flavor. Who wouldn’t love the rich chocolate flavor in sweet baking?
Semi-sweet chocolate chips are used in this recipe.
The recipe uses granulated white sugar. Instead of white sugar, one can use a combination of both white and brown or only brown sugar. If using brown sugar, increase the quantity as per the required sweetness. For this recipe instead of 1/3 cup, use 1/2 cup brown sugar for the right amount of sweetness.
You may also interested in below healthy recipes:
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips extra for topping
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk at room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a wide bowl, place the sieve. sift wheat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add sugar and mix well using a whisk. The dry ingredients are ready. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add egg, milk, and oil. Beat well.
- Add this wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk just until you don’t see any traces of dry ingredients.
- The batter should be thick. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter and fill the muffin liners uniformly.
- Pat it gently and top the muffins with chocolate chips.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the skewer/toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool down in the wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- I used fine whole wheat flour aka chakki atta for baking.
- The milk quantity will differ based on the flour type and quality you use. So start it with 1/3 cup and add 1 or 2 tbsp milk if the batter is very thick.
How to make whole wheat double chocolate chip muffins-Step by Step
1. We need two bowls for making this recipe. One big size bowl for preparing the dry ingredients and one medium size bowl for mixing the wet ingredients. Before we start, Let’s preheat the oven to 350F temperature. Line the muffin tray with a muffin liner. After that, Sift the dry ingredients. For this, place the sieve on top of the big bowl. Add the whole wheat flour to it.
2. To the same sieve, add cocoa powder. I used unsweetened 100% natural cocoa powder.
3. Furthermore, let’s add the baking powder. Fresh baking powder always gives the best results. Make sure to use the fresh baking powder.
4. Let’s add salt to balance the sweetness of the muffin.
5. All the dry ingredients except sugar are added to the sieve. Sift well and ensure there are no lumps.
6. Add the sugar at this step and mix using a spatula or whisk. I used granulated white sugar for making this recipe. You can use brown sugar or powdered jaggery as well. Just use as per the sweetness you required.
7. Our dry ingredients mix is ready. Set this aside.
8. Meanwhile, take the medium size bowl. Break an egg into it. Add milk. Make sure both are at room temperature. You can add raw milk or boil it, cool it down to room temperature before using it in the recipe.
9. Add oil to it. Any flavorless oil works great for the recipe. I don’t use vanilla extract for any chocolate-based baking. but if you would like to add it, please add it now.
10. Whisk all these ingredients well. The wet ingredients mix is now ready.
11. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mix. Mix well until you don’t see a trace of dry ingredients. Do not over-mix.
12. You will get a thick batter at the end. If the batter is very thick, add 1 tbsp extra milk or oil. The thickness purely depends on the quality of the wheat flour you use.
13. Add chocolate chips. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips meant for baking.
14. Using a silicon spatula, fold it with the batter. Use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to fill the muffin liner about 3/4th full.
15. Gently pat the muffin tray. Then, Top it with a few chocolate chips. Bake it in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tooth pin or skewer inserted into it comes out clean. Mine was done in 20 minutes. Keep checking it after 15 minutes to avoid over-baking it.
16. Remove the muffins from the muffin tray and place them in the wire rack to cool down further. Once cool down, enjoy it for breakfast or a snack. Do not leave the muffins in the muffin tray for a longer period of time.
Storage & Serving Suggestions
Once the muffins are cooled down completely, arrange them in an air-tight container in a single layer and store them for up to 3-4 days. To store the muffins for a longer duration, freeze them by wrapping each muffin in a cling or plastic wrap. Just before serving, remove the plastic wrap and microwave it for 15 sec or less, and enjoy.
These muffins are perfect for grab and go kind of breakfast along with a cup of coffee. It also serves as a great snack for the evening. Remove the muffin liner during or before eating the muffin. I always love to enjoy them warm as soon as they are fresh out of the oven.
Recipe Tips & Notes
Do not overmix: Make sure to mix both wet and dry ingredients just until you don’t see any trace of dry ingredients in the bowl.
Do not overbake: Make sure to keep on eye it after 15 minutes of baking. Overbaking may give a very hard and dry muffins.
Wheat Flour Brand: I used Laxmi brand whole wheat flour(chakki atta) in this recipe just in case if you want to know. It works with Ashirvad atta and Sujatha brand atta as well. If you don’t have any of these, you can use all-purpose flour. If you are using all-purpose flour, make sure to check the next tip without fail.
Milk Quantity: The milk quantity will differ based on the type of flour you use. So start it with 1/3 cup and add 1 or 2 tbsp milk to get a thick batter consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Muffins stay good for 2 to 3 days when stored in an airtight container and kept in a room temperature. Cool them completely before packing them in a container. place a paper towel in the bottom of the container. Arrange the muffins in a single layer. Then place another paper towel on top of it for freshness retained.
You can refrigerate the muffins but the texture and flavor change. For storing them for a longer duration, you can freeze them after wrapping it plastic wrap individually.
For making eggless muffins, you can substitute egg with 1/4 cup thick yogurt/curd.
If you have tried this recipe or have any questions, don’t forget to comment below. I would love to hear your feedback and glad to answer your queries. You can also Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Youtube for other updates from my kitchen about Office Lunchbox, Kid’s Lunchbox and simple meal plate ideas.