I got bored of preparing the tuna fish (packed in cans) in the usual fashion. So this time I have tried this making cutlets out of this canned Tuna Fish. The dish turned out to be very delicious and gave the expected taste. Also I have to alert you that this dish carries the strong fish odour so I struggled a bit while preparing this dish. However the final outcome turned out to be so good in taste that I totally forgot the odour I had to encounter while cooking it.
Most of the time I shallow fry the cutlets and this time I did the same and also for a change I have baked the some of the fish cutlets. Totally I made eight fish cutlets of which four were shallow fried and four were baked in oven.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Canned Tuna – 1 tin (180 Gram, tuna in brine)
Potato – 1 large size
Grated carrot – 1/2 cup
Fresh/Frozen Peas – 1/2 cup
Ginger – 1 teaspoon, minced
Garlic – 1 teaspoon, minced
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon / to taste
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – 3 strings, Finley chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 teaspoon and for shallow frying
Bread Crumbs – 1/4 cup
Maida/ All purpose flour – 1 tablespoon
1) Pressure cook the potato and once it is cooked, mash them using potato masher/hand. It should be very smooth and dry. After mashing it keep it aside.
2) In a pan, heat a teaspoon of oil and add cumin seeds.
3) When cumin seeds splutter, add grated carrot and peas.
4) Stir fry till carrot and peas cooks well. No need to add water.
5) Add tuna fish to the pan after draining the water from it. Make sure the water completely drains out.
6) Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir it well.
7) Keep stiring until the tuna has been cooked properly.
8) Add finely chopped coriander and mix it well.
9) Transfer the contents to a bowl and mix potatoes with it. Allow it to cool down and then knead it well. (If you find the fish dough is little watery, you can add bread crumbs).
10) Divide them into equal parts and form patties (Round shape, heart Shape, Oval Shape etc…) according to your choice. After makking patties, keep them aside.
11) In a bowl, add maida and little water to make a watery paste. Thin consistency is enough.
12) Heat tawa/skillet in stove and coat it with oil.
13) When the skillet is hot enough, Take one patty and dip it into the watery flour then immediately place it in the tray of breadcrumbs and coat with bread crumbs.
14) Place the patty in skillet and shallow fry it till it turns to golden brown.
15) Flip it so as to cook other side of patty. Meanwhile, use oil if required.
16) Repeat this step for other patties. Make sure the flame should be in low to medium to avoid the patties getting burnt.
17) Serve the hot fish cutlets with a sauce of your choice.