Rasgulla is prepared by a cheese (chenna) ball boiled in sugar syrup. It is a very famous Bengal Sweet. However sources places its origin from Orissa. Rasgulla is easy to prepare compared to Gulab Jamun. Rasgulla preparation is considered to be a precursor for preparing Rasmalai. Yes, Rasamalai can also be prepared from Rasgullas.
The recipe which I have mentioned here can make 10-15 rasagullas based on the size of cheese balls you make and also the type of milk. I made small balls to cope up with the vessel I have used. Also I have used crushed cardamom to give flavour instead of rose water.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Sitting Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Makes: 20 rasgullas
For Chenna/ Paneer/ Cheese:
Whole Milk – 1 litre or 4 and 1/4 cups
Lime Juice – 2 tablespoons
All Purpose Flour/ Maida – 1 teaspoon (Optional)
For Sugar Syrup:
Water – 5 cups
Sugar – 1 cup (adjust according to taste)
Cardamon – 4 crushed
For Making Chenna Balls:
1) In a clean pan heat milk.
2) When milk reaches its boiling point, add lime juice slowly and keep stirring it continuously.
3) Milk starts to curdle and you can see the whey getting separated from chenna.
4) When whey completely separates from the chenna, transfer the curdle milk to the bowl covered with muslin/thin cotton cloth to filter the whey from curdle milk. Take only the chenna in cloth and discard the whey.
5) Keep this cotton cloth under running cold water for few minutes to get rid of the lime’s raw smell. You can also use colander to do this.
6) Take out the cotton cloth from the bowl/colander. Gather all the corners of the cotton cloth in one hand and squeeze out the excess water using other hand as much as possible.
7) Tie the cloth using rubber band and hang it for 30 minutes free in air just to drain the excess water.
8) After 30 minutes, again squeeze out the excess water.
9) Transfer the chenna from cloth to bowl/tray (If you are using maida, add now)and knead it for 15 minutes to prepare the smooth rasagulla balls.
10) Divide the chenna to equal parts and make balls of 1 inch diameter. They will become bigger when you boil it in suger syrup.
For Sugar Syrup and Rasgulla:
1) When you are making balls, heat heavy bottom and wide pan. Keep in mind that the cheese balls will become bigger and accordingly choose the pan. Add a cup of sugar, water and crushed cardamon and boil it. (or mix sugar and cardamon together in a blender and blend it to a powder, if you do not want to use the crushed cardamom)
2) When the sugar melts and starts to boil, add the rasagulla balls to this.
3) Boil it for 5 minutes.
4) Cover the pan using lid and boil it for 10 – 15 minutes or till the rasgulla cooks. Allow some amount of air to pass away from pan.
5) After 15 minutes open the lid and you can see the bigger rasgulla balls.
6) Turn off the flame and allow the rasagulla’s to cool down.
7) Keep it in a refrigerator for half an hour and serve chill.
all time fav looking soft and irresistable