After seeing today’s title, you might wonder what I am going to write on this simple recipe. The post is mainly to showcase the health benefits of an simple ingredient which readily available at every Indian household. It is good to consume daily or whenever required.
We have been preparing this Cumin water from the day when I was a child. My mom prepares it mostly when we travel a lot for more than 3 days for any functions or going for tours. Without knowing for what purpose she gave it to us, me and my sis simply consumed it those days. But only after I had grown up, I came to know about its health benefits. I have listed out few health benefits below up to my knowledge. If you know more about this healthy drink, please share it with me.
Health Benefits of Cumin Water / Cumin Seeds:
1) Improves Digestion and Metabolism.
2) Cures Digestive Disorders – This can be achieved by drinking warm cumin water. It also helps in vanishing the stomach aches and reduces acidity.
3) Due its rich iron content, It helps to increase the red blood cell formation.
4) Increase the immunity power.
5) It helps to reduce the abdominal gas and increase the appetite.
6) Helps in liver functioning.
7) Helps to provide glowing skin.
8) Increase the lactation for the feeding mothers.
9) Aids in common cold and Sinus.
10) Improves kidney function and discharge of urine.
11) Regulates the menstrual cycle in women.
You can also dry roast the cumin seeds and then add it to the water. As it slightly gives smoky flavor, I always prepare cumin water without roasting the cumin seeds. Try to drink the cumin water on the same day it is prepared.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 3/4 litre, approximately
Drinking water – 1 liter
Cumin seeds – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
1) In a clean sauce pan, heat 1 liter of drinking water.
2) When it starts boiling, add the cumin seeds.
3) Allow the water to boil for 10-15 minutes in a rolling boil.
4) When the water reduces approximately 3/4th in its quantity, turn the flame off and allow it cool for a while.
5) Filter to remove the cumin seeds from the water.
6) Transfer filtered water to a jug and drink whenever required. Best to drink when it is warm.