Mushroom hails from the fungus
family and it is considered by many as a meat supplement for the
vegetarians. However few of us don’t like this even though it is good in
tasty and nutritious.
There are quite a lot of mushroom varieties among
which button mushrooms are widely used in cooking.The same variety I
used here for preparing this fried rice. how to clean the mushroom? I generally wipe the mushroom using wet cloth to remove the dirt and dust. Pluck the stem and peel the outer skin. then slice it as per the recipe requirement.
Whenever I buy them, I tend
to use them as soon as possible, because they easily get spoiled and once
they are in that stage it is difficult to differentiate the good from
the bad mushrooms. If I happened to store it for a long time, I make sure to wrap it in a paper to avoid getting it spoiled.
In today’s recipe I have used celery, onion, spring onion and mushrooms. If you do not get celery in your place of stay, you can skip it. but adding this would give a nice Chinese food flavor. But addition of spring onion is mandatory and please do not compromise on it.
I have used the freshly cooked basmati rice for making the mushroom fried rice. It can be substituted with any short grain rice. Leftover rice also works great for this fried rice. If you do not have the vinegar, add tomato ketchup instead of tomato sauce.
Cooking fried rice in a thick bottom small wok would help to spread the sauces evenly and all the ingredients cook fast and at the same time retains it’s shape and colour. In some Chinese restaurant, they add MSG for enhancing the flavor. I haven’t added it as my family members are allergic to it.
So here is the Tasty, Easy and yummy Indo Chinese Mushroom fried rice recipe with step by step pictures.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 2 tsp, chopped
Celery – 1 tbsp, chopped
Spring onion – 1 tbsp, only the bottom part
Onion – ¼ cup, finely chopped
Button Mushrooms – 1 cup, lightly packed and sliced
Salt – to taste
Ground pepper – ½ tsp
Soy sauce – ½ tsp
Vinegar – ¼ tsp
Tomato sauce – ½ tsp
Cooked Rice – 1 and ½ cup
Spring onion – 1 tbsp, only the green part
Method with stepwise pictures:
1) Clean the mushroom and slice it.
2) Heat gingelly oil in a pan.
3) Add garlic and fry till it releases nice aroma.
4) Add Celery and bottom part of the spring onion. saute it.
5) Add onion and continue to saute for few minutes.
6) Add mushroom and cook it in a high heat. Keep stirring to avoid burning. sometimes the mushroom tends to leave water while cooking. If it releases the water, wait till the water completely evaporates.
7) Now, add salt, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato sauce. Mix well quickly.
8) Add cooked and cooled down rice. Mix it quickly and separate it into grains. Continuous stirring would result in a perfect grainy fried rice.
9) Towards the end, add top or green part of the spring onion and turn off the flame.
10) Easy and tasty Mushroom fried rice ready!
1) Serve this mushroom fried rice with gobi manchurian or any indo-chinese side dish.
1) You can use either coriander leaves or spring onions for garnishing.
2) If you prefer washing the mushrooms, then (pat)dry them well before adding to the pan.
3) Increase or decrease the pepper quantity according to your taste.