Mushroom Masala or Mushroom Gravy or Kalan Masala is a very simple yet tasty gravy that goes very well with Pulao, Roti and Chapathi. This recipe uses a very simple ingredients and needs only less preparation work.
I have used button mushroom for this recipe. Portobello mushrooms go well with this recipe too. It needs the finely cooked tomato onion based gravy. Make sure to cook this gravy well, for a perfect mushroom masala.
For a nice colour, I have used kashmiri red chilli powder which gives wonder colour but less spicy. You can adjust it according to the spice powder you use. Addition of cashews give nice creamy texture for this gravy and do not skip it.
Preparation Time:15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp Oil
2 inch cinnamon
2 green cardamom
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup tomato, finely chopped
2 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¾ tsp garam masala
¾ tsp salt or to taste
¼ to ½ cup water or as required
5 whole cashews
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
3 cups mushrooms, chopped
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Soak the whole cashews in 2 tbsp warm water.
2) Heat oil in a wide pan. Add cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom.
3) Once they turn brown, add onion. saute it till it becomes soft and translucent.
4) Add ginger garlic paste and saute it for a minute. Make sure the flame is in low otherwise the ginger garlic paste sticks to the pan.
5) Add tomato and mix till it becomes mushy.
6) Once the tomato mashed well and the oil started to ooze out, add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
7) Mix well and cook till the raw smell of masala goes off. Cook it in low to medium flame.
8) Add chopped mushroom and salt to taste. Mix well. While cooking mushroom leaves out water.
9) Mushroon soon shrinks in it’s size and became super soft.
10) Now, grind the cashew to a smooth paste. add it to the masala along with required water to the gravy. I added approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
11) Allow it to boil and then simmer till the oil separates from the masala and the masala becomes slightly shiny.
12) Add coriander leaves and mix well.
13) Continue to keep the masala in simmer till the oil oozes out of the masala.
14) Serve hot with roti.
1) Serve it with hot pulao or with roti for lunch or dinner.
1) Mushroom leaves water while cooking. so add water after cooking the mushroom.
2) Instead if kashmiri red chilli, if you use regular chilli powder, then adjust it according to the spicy level. Kashmiri red chilli powder is less spicy, hence I added more.
3) Choose juicy tomatos for better taste.