Guacamole is a avocado based Mexican dish that is widely used as a dip or condiment across world. I personally love guacamole along with plan tortilla chips. It is my one of the favorite items that I love to pack for my road travel.
The main ingredient of Guacamole is raw avocado. Simple and traditional guacamole uses sea salt, jalapeno pepper and lime juice and coriander. Adding onion or tomato or green peas to avocado are the other variations of guacamole.
Perfectly ripe avocado gives creamy texture and wonderful taste. So, use only ripe avocado for making guacamole. Avocado stays good in a fridge if it is kept covered using a polythene bag.
We usually make guacamole first and then toast the bread slices separately. Just before serving, We used to spread this dip over the toast and enjoy it. Sometimes I stuff the guacamole over bread and toast it slightly as described here. It tastes good in both the ways.
I have already posted a mixed vegetable sandwich recipe which calls for mayo. Instead of mayo, we can use creamy avocado as a binding ingredient. This substitution makes the sandwich even more healthier.
While making guacamole, use red onion. For tomato, remove the seeds before adding to it. Jalapeno chilli tastes good but it can be very well replaced with any spicy indian chillie variety. Any sandwich bread or loaf bread can be used for this recipe.
I have described the stove top method of this recipe. It can also be prepared using the electric griller/toaster/sandwich maker.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 or 5 sandwiches
Avocados – 1, yielded 1 cup
Red Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Tomato – 1/3 cup, finely chopped
Green chillies – 2 , finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Lemon juice – juice from half lemon
Bread slices – 8 or 10
Butter – as required to coat and toast the bread
Method with stepwise pictures:
1) Cut the avocado in a vertical position and then cut into four. This helps the seeds to come out quickly. Peel the skin of it. It is very easy to peel the skin of a ripe avocado.
2) Mash it well till the avocado becomes smooth and creamy.
3) Add red onion, tomato, green chillies, coriander leaves, salt and lime juice. Mix it using a spoon or spatula. Taste and adjust the salt. If everything fine, then keep aside.
4) Coat the butter over the bread. you can coat butter on both the sides. But I usually coat only on one side.
5) Place the 2 tbsp of guacamole over the bread slice where there is no butter coating.
6) Spread it evenly. Place the other bread over it. Make sure to keep the butter coated side facing outside.
7) Place this sandwich over the hot griddle or tawa.
8) Add butter if needed for toasting. After a second, turn to toast the other side.
9) Toast the bread sandwich until both the sides are golden brown.
10) Instead of stove top, you can also use sandwich toaster.
11) Serve hot.
1) Serve Guacamole sandwich as a breakfast along with other fruits and nuts.
2) It can be served as an after school snack for kids.
1) Guacamole can be prepared in advance and make this sandwich just before serving for best results.
2) If the avocado is not perfectly ripen, then you can use the indian mixie jar for making guacamole. Use the pulse option for a second to mix all the ingredients.
3) I got 5 sandwiches using 10 standard bread slices. It varies based on how much we stuff the sandwich bread.