Most of the time ellu sadam is prepared at home in smaller quantity to offer god and that is considered as only “Prasadam”. Last week, one of my cousins came and stayed with us. He asked only variety / mixed rice for his lunch box. As he starts early in the morning to work, I prepared very quick mixed rices like this ellu sadam. Also, I didn’t have this recipe in my blog. So, I prepared it again today.
We can prepare this ellu podi in advance and whenever required, we can simply mix it with rice and add seasoning. Also, you can use black or white or both sesame seeds for preparing this rice.
Preparation and Cooking Time: <15 minutes
Serves: 2 persons
Cooked Rice – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
White sesame seeds / Black sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
Urad dal – 1/2 tablespoon
Dry red chilli – 3 nos
Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 strings
Roasted unsalted peanuts – 1 tablespoon
Asafoetida – a big pinch
1) In a kadai / frying pan, dry roast dry red chilli and urad dal. Transfer to a plate, when urad dal turn slightly brown and releases nice aroma.
2) In the same pan, add sesame seeds and dry roast till it changes in its color and releases nice aroma. Turn the flame off and transfer it to a plate to cool to room temperature.
3) In a mixer/coffee grinder, take urad dal and dry red chillies. Grind it to a powder.
4) Then, add the sesame seeds and grind it just for 10 seconds or just give one or two pulse. Keep this powder aside.
5) Heat the same pan and add gingelly oil.
6) Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, peanuts and asafoetida when it is hot, fry for few seconds.
7) Turn the flame to low and add cooked rice followed by salt and sesame powder.
8) Mix well without breaking rice. Taste and adjust the salt.
9) Continue mixing till the rice heats up well.
10) Serve with fried papadams.
1) For each cup of cooked rice, add a tablespoon of sesame seeds for making this rice.
2) Adjust the dry red chillies as per your taste.
Simple and yummy recipe, my mil also makes in the similar way. But me too never clicked though i made it few times, pretty clicks uma
Very flavorful and yummy rice.
Great clicks n ellu satham flavor inga varai varuthu…
Event: Dish name starts with Q till Feb 28th
Oh My God…. I am drooling here
nice clicks uma…rice looks delicious
Very nice recipe!
When i was a kid, i used to go to a near by temple only to get Prasadam & weekly once it used to be ellu sadam!! Nostalgic!
nice aroma of ellu.. love it as temple prasadham..
Can imagine the flavor,yummy rice.
my son's fav rice.. Yummy
Wholesome and mouthwatering rice.
This dish is new to me , but sounds great…will try it sometime!!
Feel like inviting myself to ur place, loveeeeeee this sesame rice.
very healthy,great pics too..feel like grabbing the bowl 🙂
Simple and delicious rice…Never had this but looks totally yum…
very tempting rice preparation, im yet to try
delicious rice preperation.i will try.
Authentic ellorai and easy to follow:-)