A traditional summer drink which we often prepare at home any time a year.
We use cow milk for making curd at our home. My grandma used to collect the malai/the layer from the curd and makes butter after week time. She used to blend the curd with collected malai, extract the butter from it and use the churned curd for making this recipe. Sometimes, she simply churns the curd and adds the seasoning if we demand it.
During our summer vacation, she used to prepare it in larger quantity and store it in earthen pots which keep the chillness of the butter milk naturally for longer time. I guess this is also a one of the secrets which makes the butter milk more tastier.
Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Thick curd / Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
Cold water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 4 strings, very finely chopped
Curry Leaves – 4 strings, roughly torn
Green Chilli – 2 nos
Ginger – 1 inch length piece
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida – a big pinch
1) In a deep vessel, mix curd and water. Churn it using whisk / hand blender / Mathu.
2) Roughly blend the green chilli and ginger separately and add it to the curd water mixture. Mix well.
3) Add salt, finely chopped coriander and curry leaves. Taste and adjust the salt as per taste.
4) Heat oil in a seasoning pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Allow the seeds to splutter.
5) Pour this seasoning to the vessel containing the mixture of curd and water. Churn it again.
6) Pour in glasses and serve chill.
1) Increase or decrease the water quantity as per requirement.
2)You can also grind the cumin seeds along with green chilli and ginger instead of seasoning.
so refreshing drink n i love it, very cute pots and excellent clicks dear 🙂
love this neeer moor a lot…neatly presented!!
Very nice and refreshing drink….Perfect for the summers….
Perfect for summer, nice clicks esp the clay pot
Perfect for a hot summer, love neer mor any time…, beautiful clicks as always
Wow looks super!
this is perfect for summer.
Beautiful clicks Uma. It reminds of drinking the spicy neer mor in Jet airways.
wow so refreshing drink ……. perfect for the summer …
Yummy n falvorful drink, looks nice in cute pots…
Perfect for the summer heat and lovely clicks, I too have the same cute little pots 🙂 carried all the way from Chennai to SG..
Good one.Love this !
u are right this drink and earthen pots makes it more tastier. lovely clicks
nice refreshing drink uma,
lovely clicks dear 🙂
I too posted this yesterday..n I am having it d same now…very refreshing drink
Beautiful clicks Uma…These are an all time favorite of mine…whether summer or not I have a glass of this almost everyday.
Wat a super healthy,refreshing spiced buttermilk,prefect drink to beat the heat.
Flavourful and best for summer…love the pot presentation!
wow…perfect 4 this season….yummy…..
lovely pics! wanna grab a matka right off the screen