Hope some will be busy with New Year Celebrations and some will be busy in preparing some special food for this day.
From my side, a pound cake style ghee cake is coming for you all for this new year. I have bookmarked this cake recipe when Reshmi posted a picture in facebook even before she posted the recipe in her blog. The texture of the cake in her picture was simply pulled me in. Once you start baking, you might love the aroma of the ghee which spreads out in the entire kitchen.
I halved the recipe and prepared it last week. Every one at home loved it and I need to beg each of them to save some slices for taking the photograph. After a very quick photo shoot, all the slices have gone in no time. 🙂
Hope you also enjoy this cake like how we enjoyed it! Happy New Year 2013!!!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 8 slices
All purpose flour / Maida / Plain flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
Pure Ghee / Clarified butter – 1/2 cup
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 2 nos, large size, yellow and white separated
Milk – 1/4 cup
Granulated sugar – 1 tablespoon
Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
1) You need 2 small and 1 large mixing bowls for this recipe.
2) Preheat the oven to 375F(175C) for 10-15 minutes. Grease the loaf tin or round or square cake tin with butter or ghee then dust it with flour. Keep it aside.
3) Take first small mixing bowl and sift all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder. Make sure there are no lumps. Keep it aside.
4) In large mixing bowl, beat together the ghee and powdered sugar until the mixture is creamy and fluffy. Add one egg yellow at a time(Save the egg white in another small mixing bowl) and beat in between after each addition.
5) Add the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour to this mixture.
6) Now take the second mixing bowl in which we saved egg white. Beat well. Gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla essence and continue beating until stiff.
7) Fold this mixture with ghee cake batter in the large bowl.
8) Pour this batter to the prepared cake tin and bake it for 50-55 minutes or tooth pin inserted into it comes out clean. My cake was done in 30 minutes itself with top and bottom heating.
9) Cool it for sometime and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
10) Slice and serve.
1) I did all the above preparation using hand whisk(without an electrical beater) and still the outcome of the cake was good.
2) Try to use pure ghee for this cake for perfect aroma of the cake. In clarified butter, you might miss this aroma.
3) My cake was perfectly done in just 30 minutes. So watch you oven after 30 minutes while you bake this cake.