It has been more than a year since I posted any seafood recipes. I used to cook only for the husband and now a days he also stopped eating it. Now, You might wonder for whom I cooked this fish fry. We invited newly married couple for dinner at our home and I planned for big vegetarian menu. But the bride requested me to prepare some fish fry when I asked about her recipe choice.
I got a KG of seer fish and thought of experimenting this fish fry using curry leaves for a change. What if the bride doesn’t like the taste of it? I didn’t want to disappoint her and decided to prepare this fish fry and saved some for curry leaves fish fry. When I served both the fries to them, nothing left and got a good feedback and they said it was a perfect fish fry for those who look for many varieties.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Idle Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Fish fillets – 400 grams (I used 9 pieces of vanjaram meen / seer fish)
Curry Leaves – 1/2 cup, lightly packed
Green Chillies – 3 nos
Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Rice flour / Corn flour – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – a big pinch
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon or juice from half a lemon
1) Wash the fish fillets well in water and keep it aside.
2) Wash curry leaves. Take all the ingredients in a mixer except lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder and rice flour. Grind them to a fine paste. If required add only 1 teaspoon of water.
3) Transfer this paste to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
4) Add washed fish fillets. Make a coating to all the fish fillets.
5) Marinate it for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
6) After 30 minutes, Take a pan and shallow fry it for 3-5 minutes on each side or until the fish cooked well on both side. You can also deep fry it.
7) Serve with slices of onion and lemon wedges.