Raw banana based dishes are favorite for many people and our family is not an exception. There are many recipes I prepared using raw banana in which this recipe is the very easy one and can be prepared by anyone. It just needs careful cooking in low flame until it becomes crisp/dry.
Just with red chilli powder and salt, it tastes heaven. It generally goes well with dal based south Indian gravies and spinach puree. Make sure to keep the sliced banana in water to avoid discoloration and to remove the excess starch. Also apply coconut oil in your hand before cutting or peeling the raw banana.
Raw banana is also known as Kaccha Kela in Hindi, Aratikaya in telugu, vazhaikkai in tamil. It is a good source of vitamin A and C. Has high potassium content which helps to reduce blood pressure. It is rich in fiber and avoids stomach problems.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Raw Banana – 1
Oil – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Curry Leaf – 6 leaves
Asafoetida – a pinch
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Method with step wise pictures:
1) Remove the top and bottom portion of plantain. Peel the skin of it.
2) Cut into same size slices. Keep immersed in water till we cook.
3) Heat oil in thick bottom pan. Throw mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
4) Add asafoetida and curry leaves.
5) Drain the water from raw banana and add it to the pan.
6) Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Mix well to coat this masala to the raw banana slices. While doing it, the flame should be very low.
7) Once the masala is coated well, arrange the slices in a single layer within the pan using the spatula.
8) Cover it using a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until done.
9) After 10 minutes, remove the lid, gently turn the slices to other side to cook other side. Let it continue to cook without uncovered.
10) After few minutes, the raw banana would have fried and cooked well.
11) Toss well and serve hot.
1) Raw banana fry is served as a side dish for any rice based recipes for lunch.
2) It pairs well with all the mild south Indian gravies.
As it goes well with spinach and dal based gravies, I paired it with rice, spinach dal, curd and papaya.
1) I used kashmiri red chilli powder and hence used 2 tsp. If you use any other red chilli powder, please use it according to your taste or it’s spicy level.
2) Cook the raw banana in low flame when it is covered. once you remove the lid, continue to cook in low flame till it reaches the dry state.
3) Make sure to use thick bottom pan to avoid the banana sticking to the pan.
I too make raw banana fry just like this but add coriander powder too. Urs looks yum 🙂