Pichu potta Kozhi Varuval or Shredded chicken fry is a typical southindian dish, mostly prepared using the leftover chicken.
Having gained the popularity from the road side chicken shops in tamil nadu, now a days fresh chicken is steam cooked, shredded and used for making this fry.
I also usually buy the fresh chicken, pressure cook it with turmeric and salt. Cool down and shred it using fork or knife and use for making this fry.
But this time, I used the leftover rotisserie chicken. The readily cooked rotisserie chicken are really helpful for making soups, fried rice and chicken fry like the one shown below. Apart from that it doesn’t need any pre-cleaning and one can easily shred it and directly use it for cooking.
Now off to the recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 1
Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Tomato – 1 cup, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – 3 tsp (less hot)
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Shredded chicken – 2 cups, cooked
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
1) Chop onion and tomato. Shred the chicken and keep aside.
2) Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
3) Add 1 slit green chillies. Give a quick stir fry.
4) Add onion and saute till it becomes soft and translucent.
5) Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
6) Add tomato and saute till it becomes soft and mushy.
7) Once the tomato becomes soft, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, pepper powder and salt. The red chilli I used here is less spicy and so I added 3 teaspoons. please adjust it according to your taste. Mix well until the raw smell of masala goes off.
8) Add shredded chicken. Gently toss well.
9) If you find the chicken is bit dry, sprinkle little bit of water.
10) Since the chicken is already cooked, it is enough to cook till the masala blends well with the chicken and use water accordingly.
11) Add crushed curry leaves and the remaining oil. Mix again and stir continuously for 5 to 10 minutes.
12) Once the chicken becomes super soft and masala blended well, turn off the stove and serve hot.
1) Serve this shredded chicken fry with Hot steamed rice or with roti as a side dish along with any gravy or curry.
1) My family loves big shredded chunks and I shredded and cooked chicken accordingly. You can even shred it more according to your personal preference.
2) I used home made red chilli powder which was less hot and I used 3 teaspoons. Adjust it according to the spicy level of the red chilli powder.
3) The chicken I used is cooked without salt and hence I added salt to this fry. Taste the shredded chicken and add the salt according to it.