Does celebrating/showing love to your loved one require a gift?
One of my friends quoted in face book,
“If you are with the right person, everyday is your valentine’s day”
I find above words are absolutely true. However, I understand that the definition and celebration of love differs from person to person and it is nothing wrong to buy a gift according to their capabilities and make their loved one more happy on special days like today. At the same time, one need to understand that getting/giving gifts alone won’t fulfil the heart. I will never stop if I start talking about it. Before that, let me go for today’s recipe.
When I prepared Lemon curd, preparing a lemon curd tart from the scratch was also in my to-do list using it. My web search yielded many results among which I selected this as it used the strawberry coulis too (which I prepared for my breakfast bread) for filling of tart.
This is my first experience of making a sweet tart. My attempt gave me a proper results but the edges of the tarts were shrunk a little after baking. If you want to prepare it in a quick way, buy a ready roll shortcrust pastry, bake it and enjoy with your own creative filling.
As I used my leftover strawberry coulis for this recipe, I couldn’t show stepwise pictures for it. I’ll be posting a detail and separate post for strawberry couli for sure in upcoming days.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Idle Time: 45 minutes (30 minutes for shortcrust pastry and 15 minutes for final set)
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Makes: 12 mini tarts
For Sweet Shortcrust Pastry:
All purpose flour/ Plain flour/ Maida – 2 cups
Caster sugar – 3 tablespoons
Cold butter – 1/2cup + 2 tablespoons
Iced water – 3 tablespoons
For Strawberry Coulis:
Strawberry – 1/2 cup, cut into small pieces
butter – 1 tablespoon
Sugar – 2 tablespoons
Cornstarch – 1/8 teaspoon
Water – 1 tablespoon
Strawberry – 3 nos, sliced, for decorating
For Lemon Curd:
Lemon curd – 12 tablespoons (Click here to see how to prepare lemon curd)
For Sweet Shortcrust Pastry:
1) In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and the butter.
2) Make a fine bread crumbs like flour mixture as shown in picture.
3) Add water little at a time and make a smooth dough. Sometimes, you can form smooth dough using 2 tablespoons of water itself.
4) Knead it lightly and keep inside the bowl covering with the cling film.
5) Keep this dough inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, prepare strawberry coulis and lemon curd. Make them to cool to a room temperature.(Steps for these two are given below)
7) Preheat the oven to 350F/176C.
8) Roll the cold pastry on a floured kitchen surface until 1/8inch thick.
9) Place them inside the tart tins and form the proper shape as shown in the picture. Make sure the pastry is sticking with the tin.
10) Place the parchment paper over it and fill with the baking weights. If you don’t have the baking weight, use dried chickpeas or uncooked rice or dried beans or coins. Bake it exactly for 10 minutes.
11) Remove the weights and bake again for another 10 minutes or until the crust slightly changes into golden brown in colour.
12) Allow it to cool for a while.
For Strawberry Coulis:
1) In a saucepan, melt butter and sugar. Heat till the butter melts.
2) Add strawberries and reduce the flame to low. Continue stirring till the strawberry becomes soft. Allow it to cool to a room temperature.
3) After cooling, blend it until smooth.
4) Pour the blended paste to a sauce pan again. Mix corn starch in a tablespoon of water and mix with strawberry paste. Heat it for sometime or until it becomes thick.
5) Strawberry couli is ready now. Cool and refrigerate.
1) Take a tart, pour a teaspoon of strawberry couli into it. Keep this as a bottom layer.
2) Next top with the one or two tablespoons of lemon curd. Decorate it with sliced strawberries.
3) Keep inside the refrigerator for sometime to set the curd.
4) Repeat this with remaining tarts and enjoy!!!
Happy Valentine’s Day to you all!!!
yum ! i too believe in not singling out a day to express love- but then who doesn't love to be surprised ! fine treat this tart – uma
Looks a perfect treat for your Valentine,lovely colorful tarts!!
Happy Valentines Day,Uma!!
Delicious and yummy looking tart. Happy valentine day to you.
perfect for a lovely evening (not just Vday!)
Happy Valentine's Day !!!!!! yummy and tempting tart ….
WOW..I love this..Thanks for posting it Dear..
Happy Valentine Day !! So pretty and perfectly done !!
Ongoing Event – CC-Dish For Loved Ones
super delicious tart!!
Very cute tarts and love the lemon curd flavour.. Perfect treat for a special day 🙂
YUM, looks great…and great combination of flavours
Awesome combination tarts, luv the filling idea with lemon curd and strawberry…Looks very tempting
awesome looking tart dear…luv it!
lemon curd tarts huh!! Very interesting uma great work dear
Haooy Valentine's day to you… But as u said a single day is not needed to express love.
The tart looks so perfect n yummy.
My culinary Trial room
Ongoing event – Love n Chocolate Fest
Awe..what a pretty tart!! Lovely click too! You can share with my ongoing-''Valentine's Day Event''(till Feb 20th)
WOW!! perfectly done. Tart looks delicious
gr8 recipe looking gogerous
Lovely! Your Valentine would be totally flattered, I'm sure! 😉
Wow…Tarts look absolutely delicious …..perfect for valentine's day 🙂
Strawberry lemon curd looks tempting…
Delicious tart……yummy tooo
looks so yummy n delicious..perfect for the occasion .. Harpy Valentines Day dear..
Join the Just "4" Fun event 🙂
sounds interesting….looks so cute n delicious…good one Uma!
Happy Valentines Day!!
OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights
Happy Valentine's day.. look gorgeous..
Simply divine n awesome tarts with innovation filling…
Yummy tarts Uma…Gifting something alone is definitely not a true expression of love, but getting surprises does make one happy doesn't it.
aweome tart dear….wonderful
Cute lemon curd tarts. Nice recipe too
Such a lovely treat, looks so good and love the nice step by step pictures.
nice space vth yummy recipes……looks awesoem..nice presentation…
Wow…I want to dig into that tart…so tempting.
Tart looks amazing.Perfectly done.Superb decoration….
Not a big fan of lemony desserts, but enjoyed your pics as always 🙂
Wow, this's the second lemon curd tart I'm coming across tday. And I love how you stacked them up in that last shot, too tempting!
Tarts are a big hit at my place too 🙂 Yeah celebrating a special day can be paradoxical..