This is one of the gravies which I learnt from my MIL, took many attempts for me to get the desired taste. As it is my family’s favourite, I mostly prepare every week and learned to make the perfect one now. but still I feel her preparation gives some extra taste to the gravy. With the help of her, I am posting all the steps below.
The gravy is a best substitute for any non-veg recipes. You can also simply substitute the potato with chicken/ meat. Click here to see the chicken version. The non-veg version is easy and you can easily get the taste and it is not that difficult like this gravy. All the ingredients are very important, at the same time you can change the quantity as per taste.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Baby potatoes – 15-20 nos, skin removed
Shallots – 1/2 cup, sliced (As I didn’t get shallots here, I used Red Onion)
Tomato – 2 nos, small size, chopped
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 2 cloves, medium size
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Any vegetable oil – Tablespoon
Gingelly oil – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 string
Mustard seeds and urid dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
Water – 1 cup 1/2 cup or as required
Fresh Coconut – 3 tablespoons, grind to a fine paste (Optional)
Coriander seeds – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Dry red chillies – 6 nos
Rice grains – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
Black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
1) In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the ingredients given for masala.
2) Allow it to cool to room temperature and make a fine powder of it. Keep it aside.
3) Using a mixer, make a paste of ginger and garlic and keep it aside.
4) Wipe off the same pan or in another pan, heat a tablespoon of oil.
5) Add mustard seeds and urid dal when it is hot. Allow it to splutter.
6) Add the onion and the curry leaves and saute till onion turns soft.
7) Add ginger garlic paste(as prepared in step 3) and continue sauteing for a minute or two.
8) Add chopped tomato and saute till it gets mushy.
9) Add the baby potatoes. Add water, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
10) Reduce the flame to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or till the potatoes get cooked well.
11) Once the potatoes are cooked, add the masala powder(as prepared in step 2) and water. Mix well without any lumps.
12) Cook for another 5-10 minutes in medium flame. Add ground coconut at this stage if you are using.
13) Pour in the gingelly oil and increase the flame for a minute and turn of the heat. We usually prepare gravy in slightly thick consistency.
14) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed white rice.
1) You can add 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds and 1 inch cinnamon stick to the masala if you prefer.
2) Increase/ decrease the black pepper and dry red chilli as per your level of spiciness.
3) Instead of baby potato, you can use normal potato. Slice them into cubes and use in gravy.
4) Increase the water quantity as per the desired consistency. You can also mix the masala with water and add to the gravy to avoid lumps.
5) You can also use baby potato with skin if you prefer.