The folks at my household prefer to eat only chapathi or roti for dinner. My MIL prepares chapathi dough at 6 in the evening and keeps the kneaded dough idle for 1 and 1/2 hours for making roti/chapathi/parathas. She does it in a routine work everyday and if she happens to skip it, only then we go for other options like upma, dosa for dinner.
That was the day, when we returned home after a busy day out and opted to prepare an instant roti that doesn’t require any side dish. Took some vegetables from the refrigerator, grated and mixed it with flour to prepare mixed vegetable roti. Though I have prepared this roti many times, It came out super good on that day. Also, I thought I can not wait for another day to prepare this tasty roti to click. So, I clicked the pictures on the same day in fluorescent light. This roti doesn’t require any side dish but you can have it with pickle or curd. It is also a perfect food to pack for travelling.
Preparation Time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 10-11 Roties
Wheat flour / Atta – 2 cups + 1/4 cup for dusting
Carrot – 1/4 cup, grated
Beetroot – 1/4 cup, grated
Radish – 1/4 cup, grated
Cabbage – 1/4 cup, shredded
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon, crushed
Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil / Butter – 1 tablespoon + extra for making roties
Water – as required to make tight dough
1) Take all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. First, mix everything without adding water.
2) Then, slowly add water and make a tight dough. Knead for 5 minutes.
3) Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
4) Roll each ball into a round disc using a rolling pin. Use wheat flour for dusting if required.
5) Heat skillet / tawa. When it is hot, place the round disc to the pan. Apply oil / butter coating using a brush.
6) After few seconds, when the colour of the roti turns slightly dark, turn to other side. Repeat this step for all roties.
7) Serve immediately. We had it with tomato pickle and curd.
1) The vegetables added to the dough tend to release water and rolling of roties will be difficult if you keep the dough idle like we do it in the preparation of basic roti recipe. So, do not keep it idle and start preparing roties immediately after preparing the dough.
2) You can add any vegetables of your choice. Make sure to chop them finely before you add.
3) Add ginger garlic paste and finely chopped onion if you like.