Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe using Idly / Dosa Batter Recipe with step by step pictures.
For preparing the Kuzhi Paniyaram instantly, you can follow this recipe. Simply saute the onion along with green chilli, ginger and seasoning to add to the leftover idly/dosa batter. Even the sour batter works well for this paniyaram recipe. Additionally you can use vegetables like finely chopped beans and grated carrot. It is my easy to go recipe whenever I don’t have paniyaram batter but have a craving for the dish.
Since we are using idly batter, make sure to dilute it slightly with 2 to 3 tbsp of water (if the batter is very thick) to get a soft paniyaram. The idly/dosa batter usually has salt in it. So be cautious when you add salt to the onion when you cook it. Small onion or shallots gives a nice taste but you can use big onions if you don’t get it.
For evening snack or for breakfast/dinner, this recipe can be prepared in a jiffy. Serve the paniyram with any spicy chutney recipe.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes: 35 paniyaram (approximately)
3 cups Idly/Dosa Batter
3 tsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp urad dal
1 tbsp channa dal
2 green chillies, thinly sliced
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
A pinch asafoetida
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 to 3 tbsp Water (only if the batter is thick)
Subscribe to my Indian Curry Trail Youtube Chennal for more recipe videos.
1. Take 3 cups of idly/dosa batter in a bowl.If it is very thick, dilute it with 2 to 3 tbsp of water, mix well and set aside.
2. In a pan, heat 3 tsp oil. Once it is hot, add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1 tbsp channa dal.
3. Stir the ingredients till it becomes golden brown in colour.
4. Add 2 thinly sliced green chillies and 1 tsp finely chopped ginger. Add a pinch of asafoetida and quickly mix it without burning the asafoetida.
5. Add a cup of finely chopper onion and 1 sprig roughly chopped curry leaves.
6. Add salt to taste. Idly /dosa batter has already salt in it. so add salt only to the onion.
7. Saute the onion till it becomes soft.
8. Towards the end, add the coriander leaves and give nice stir.
9. Add this sauteed onion to the batter. Mix well.
10. Heat the paniyaram pan. add 1/4 tsp oil in each mould of the paniyaram pan,
11. Add a ladle of battter to it and cook covered.
12. Cover & Cook it for 2 minutes.
13. After 2 minutes, open the lid and roll the paniyarams to cook its other side.
14. Once the other side is cooked, transfer the paniyarams to a plate. Insert a skewer into a paniyaram and check if it comes out clean. If it comes clean, then the paniyaram cooked well.
15. Serve hot with any spicy chutney. repeat the step with the remaining batter.
1. Serve it for evening tiffin/breakfast/dinner along with any spicy chutney recipes.
1. If you like, any finely chopped vegetables like carrot, beans can be added to this paniyaram batter.
2. My mom adds finely chopped coconut pieces which gives a nice crunch while eating. If you like, you can add it.