When you crave for some snacks during your tea time, try this quick 10 minutes aval mixture. It satisfies your craving as it pairs well with hot tea or coffee. The ingredients used in this mixture are also readily available at every household.
If you have corn flakes at home, you can fry it and add it to the mixture and make a corn mixture. Its all about your preference. With no further stories, off to the recipe…
Preparation and Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 3 cups, approximately
Aval / Flattened rice / Poha – 2 cups (Thin variety)
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 2 strings
Garlic cloves – 3 nos (crush it with skin)
Dry red chillies – 2 nos
Asafoetida – 1 big pinch
Roasted channa dal / Dalia – 1/4 cup
Peanuts / Verkadalai / Ground nuts – 1/4 cups
Raisins – 2 tablespoons
Cashew nuts – 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
1) Heat oil in a wide pan. When it is hot, add garlic cloves, curry leaves, dry red chillies and asafoetida. Fry well till the curry leaves became crisp.
2) Add raisins, cashews, roasted Channa dal, peanuts. Fry till the nuts became slight golden brown and raisins became pulpy.
3) Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Make sure not to burn these masalas. If required reduce the flame at this stage to avoid burning.
4) Add aval and continue frying till the aval becomes crispy and opaque.
5) Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and store it in a airtight container.
1) Make sure not to burn any masalas. Otherwise, you won’t get proper colour for chivda.
2) You can fry all the ingredients separately and mix them later.
3) Adjust red chilli powder, salt and sugar as per your taste. Also, mix/shake the mixture well before serving or eating since salt and sugar always stays at the bottom of the stored container.
Guilt free snack,so yum
homemade mixture looks fabulous lovely pictures
Healthy Snacks….lovely clicks..
Yummy and irresistible..love it
Crispy and delicous poha. Lovely snack.
Nice tea time snack! Guilt free to munch! 🙂
All time evening snack…good clicks
healthy and low calorie snack
simple yet great snack, would love to try this… 🙂
crispy, delicious and healthy snack..
Spill the Spices
looks very crispy and delicious!..lovely presentation!
Healthy snack for tea
Absolutely yummy snack with a cup of piping hot evening tea.
Crisp clear and neat pictures with spic and span utensils. Though I had not been leaving comments in here I had been eyeing your posts 😉
Did you notice I follow you in the Foodgawker entry line up almost always 🙂
saw your soya cutlets and i decided to post this from my drafts 🙂
neat presentation.. perfect snack for evening..
Great snack for some one like me….
@Bharathy, Thanks a lot for the words. Keep visiting.
Give me that whole bowl, cant take my eyes from ur click, highly inviting.