Another one authentic recipe from Tamil Nadu. Whenever I prepare this chutney, my mind starts to think about the tri-colour chutneys served at hotels here which semi symbolically represents our national flag(White coconut chutney, Red tomato chutney and Green mint chutney) to my eyes. This combination is quite famous here(across world too) and my stomach fills just by looking them with Idly or Dosa when served hot for breakfasts. All my north Indian friends never foget to ask this chutney whenever they visit our house. They like this chutney a lot. We too. 🙂
There are many variations for the red chutney served and I have blogged one variation with onion here.
Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes + 10minutes cooling time
Red Onion/White onion – 1 no, chopped
Tomato – 4 nos, chopped
Urid dal – 1 tablespoon
Garlic – a small clove
Dry Red chillies – 7-8 / to taste
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds and Urid Dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 string
Oil – 2 teaspoon
1) Dry roast urid dal, garlic and dry red chillies in pan till it releases nice aroma and become golden brown colour. Transfer to other plate and set aside.
2) In the same pan, add a tablespoon of oil and saute chopped onions till they are soft.
3) Add tomato and continue sauteing till all tomato pieces mashes well. Remove from stove and allow this mixture to cool.
4) Grind the ingredients to a fine paste by adding salt and little water.
5) In a seasoning pan and heat oil.
6) Put Mustard seeds and urid dal and wait mustard seeds to splutter.
7) Turn off the stove and add curry leaves.
8) Transfer the seasoning to the chutney.
9) Serve with Dosa/Idly.