I fell in love with these suji cookies after tasting semolina cookies. I bookmarked this from Easy Cook when I saw at first moment. Suji cookies are nothing but Malaysian cookies(Biskut Suji Kristal – I am really addicted to these cookies) and I guess they got the name as we coat it with castor sugar at the end. The procedure is almost same as semolina cookies but we are adding ground almond here. It gives an exotic taste with an aroma of ghee. They also melt in your mouth like semolina cookies.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Idle Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 15-20 cookies
All purpose flour/ Plain flour/ Maida – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
Icing Sugar – 1/2 cup
Roasted ground almond – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
Ghee/Clarified butter – 1/2 cup, melted and cooled to room temperature
Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
Edible food colours – pink, yellow and blue (change with the colour you have)
Caster sugar – for coating the cookies
1) Combine all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda. Sift it for even mixing.
2) Add Icing sugar, roasted ground almond, ghee, salt and vanilla extract one by one.
3) Make smooth dough. Final dough will be soft and tight. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
4) Preheat the oven to 150C for 15 minutes. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and keep aside.
5) Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
6) Add enough food colour and knead well for 5 minutes so that the colour spreads out all over the dough.
7) Pinch approx 3g from each colour dough and combine them into one small ball. (I took more than 3g for time saving :-))
8) When you combine 3 colour, you get a marbled shape ball. Repeat the step and make marbled balls for the remaining dough.
9) Arrange them in a baking tray with 2 inches apart.
10) Bake it for 15-20 minutes.
11) Once done, cool the cookies completely. Then, coat the cookies with caster sugar.
12) Cookies are ready.
1) Cookies enlarge when they are baked. so make sure to make <10g for each cookie to make perfect shaped cookie balls.
2) Measure ghee after melting. Add ghee little at a time till you make a soft dough.
3) You can use ready to use store bought ground almond or roast and grind the skinless almonds at home.
very colorful and yummy.. merry christmas 🙂
Wow,these look faboulous.Wish I can dig into some right now..Well done!
so cute n colorful cookies…….
Beautiful cookies. Sounds very delicious. Lovely clicks as well.
Wow looks so colorful and tempting…luv the clicks too
Wow… They look so good. They look simple too. Bookmarked it to try it out with my son.
very creative indeed………
These are tremendously beautiful cookies, with the colours.
Looks so colorful and delicious,wonderful presentation…
Lovely colorful n delightful cookies..yummy!!
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
rainbow colour i just love to try that.
So colorful and beautifully presented!
Colorful cookies. Nice clicks and presentation.
Event: Sinful Delights
Event: Stuffed Paratha
Beautiful multi colored cookies.Merry Christmas.
Cookies look so pretty and yum.
so cute! love the colours.. look like a christmas decoration 🙂
These tri color cookies have stolen my heart Uma…They look beautiful. Colorful clicks
Even i bookmarked this cute cookies, well done Uma,they looks elegant and pretty addictive.
They are just beautiful cookies 🙂 Lovely presentation.
Have an award waiting for you. Pls check out
Wow. Totally love this colorful creation and those beauty shots!
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Loved this colorful n beautiful looking cookies…I too had bookmarked it yet to try :))
very beautiful..u made it perfectly..very neat explanation…thanx 4 posting this
I tried these and posted in my blog 🙂 Came out wonderful Uma 🙂
What a lovely looking you are! I love this