I had a big bunch of Spring onion sitting in my refrigerator after a food photo shoot. There are many ways to use Spring Onion in your daily recipes and Paratha is one among them. I use it along with other ingredients as stuffing or sometimes I just mix it with flour and roll it as parathas.
In place of Spring onion, scallion or Green onions can also be used. Spring onion has a white bulge at its bottom whereas scallion or green onion doesn’t have such an appearance. Spring onion’s green part has more flavors compared to scallion or green onion. Except this there isn’t much difference between both.
Now we will see how to make Spring onion paratha step-by-step.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 7 parathas
Wheat Flour / Atta – 1 cup + for dusting
Spring onion / Scallion / Green onion – 1/2 heaped cup
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Water – little less than 1/2 cup or as required
Oil – as required
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Chop the green part of the spring onion finely using knife or scissors.
2) In a mixing bowl, mix wheat flour, chopped spring onion, red chilli powder, Cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt.
3) Mix everything using a hand.
4) Slowly add water and make a smooth dough.
5) Towards the end, add a teaspoon of oil and knead few more minutes.
6) Divide the dough into 7 equal parts.
7) Roll into a circular disc with the help of Wheat flour.
8) Heat tawa and when it is hot enough, place the paratha on it.
9) When the colour of paratha changes, turn it to other side and smear oil. Flip it again and cook it completely on both the sides.
10) Server hot with curd and pickle.
1) Keep covered until you serve the paratha.
2) You may also rest the dough for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling into parathas.
3) You may also add the bottom white part of spring onion but make sure to chop it in a very fine manner before adding into dough.