Pasta Biryani. Yes, don’t be surprised. It is an Indian style biryani prepared with Italian pasta. This is one of the popular Indian style pasta recipes at home which received a very good feedback from my husband who normally hates pasta. My in-law normally tastes pasta only whenever its prepared at home. This time, she asked me to serve it in a plate and ate to her content as she liked the taste.
The idea of preparing this pasta biryani was in my mind for a long time but I kept postponing it for many reasons as I was not sure about its outcome. But last week, when I read a similar recipe in Maggi wrapper, I got interested to try it and now It is in front of you.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
Uncooked Pasta – 2 and 1/2 cups, I used Farfalloni Pasta
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Cloves – 4 nos.
Cinnamon stick – 2 inch length piece
Green cardamom – 2 nos.
Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaves – 1 no.
Onion – 1 no., medium size, sliced
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Ginger – inch length piece
Garlic – 4 nos.
Green chillies – 2 nos.,
Mint leaves – 1 handful
Coriander leaves – 1 handful
Tomato – 1 no., large size, cubed
Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Vegetables – 1 and 1/2 cups, I used carrot, capsicum, potato and green peas
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – to taste
1) Wash and cook pasta as per the package instructions.
2) Meanwhile, chop the vegetables to small cubes. I used 2 carrots, 1 green capsicum, 1/2 cup green peas and 1 small potato.
3) Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli to a fine paste without adding water. Set aside.
4) Grind tomato with red chilli powder and coriander powder to a smooth paste without adding water. Set aside.
5) Heat oil in a wide pan. When it is hot, add the spices (Fennel seeds, cardamom, bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon stick). Allow it to splutter.
6) Add onion with curry leaves. Saute till the onion becomes soft and translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 1/2 minute or till the raw smell of it goes off.
7) Add mint and coriander leaves. Saute till the leaves release nice aroma and mushed well.
8) Add tomato paste and saute again. If required, add 2-3 tablespoons of water to avoid burning while sauteing the tomato paste.
9) Once the raw smell of the masala goes off, add vegetables. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Keep in mind that we need to add pasta to this and add salt according to that.
10) Add 1/4 cup of water and reduce the flame to medium. Cover and cook till the vegetables are done.
11) Check for the pasta whether it is cooked or not. If it is done, drain the water completely. Do not wash it in cold water.
12) Add this cooked pasta to the prepared vegetable masala. Mix very carefully. Pasta might tend to break, so be extra cautious while doing this.
13) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
1) Use any of your favourite shape for making this pasta. Small shaped pastas go well for this biryani with vegetables.
2) Add any of your favorite vegetables for this pasta.