Idiyappam is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. With grated coconut, sugar and ghee, it tastes heaven for me. But the husband who usually doesn’t prefer sweets and sweet based recipes, simply avoid it. So, I prepare sevai for him separately after making idiyappam. It takes only few minutes to prepare the sevai and there are many varieties. I make different sevais based on the ingredients available at my pantry. Last month, I made lemon sevai and got some time to click the picture. It has come online to treat you now.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: <15 minutes
Idiyappam / String hoppers – 2 cups
Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons (Juice from 1 lemon)
Turmeric powder – a big pinch
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoons
Channa dal – 1 tablespoon
Peanuts – 1 tablespoon, roasted and skin peeled
Asafoetida – a big pinch
Green chillies – 2 nos, slit
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 1/2 tablespoon, finely chopped, for garnishing
1) Loosen the idiyappam and break the strings slightly. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice and turmeric powder. Stir well and set aside.
2) Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and channa dal. Roast well till the channa dal becomes golden brown. Add peanuts. Slightly roast it.
3) Add curry leaves, asafoetida and green chillies. Saute it for few seconds.
4) Reduce the flame to low. Add the idiyappam and salt to taste. Stir to spread the heat to the idiyappam evenly.
5) Once the heat is spread well to the idiyappam, add the lemon juice and mix well. Immediately after few seconds, when the raw smell of turmeric goes off, turn the flame off.
6) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
1) Allow the idiyappam to cool completely before making this sevai. Also, don’t forget loosen the idiyappam.
2) You can also use instant rice vermicelli for making this sevai. If you are using, cook rice vermicelli as per the package instructions.
3) Do not heat the sevai too much after adding lemon. It might taste bitter if you do so.
4) Increase or decrease the lemon juice according to your taste buds.