Whenever I eat Masala Kara Pori (Spicy Puffed Rice) I become nostalgic. It brings me memories of Dussera Festival (Saraswathi Pooja and Vijayadasami). During those days we used to get a lot of Pori from my Dad’s factory and we use it along with our prayers to godess Saraswati. My mom used to prepare this dish often during and after this festival. Reading a book / magazine munching this dish side by was a good time pass those days.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 and 1/2 cups
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dry red chillies – 3
Garlic cloves – 4, crushed with skin
Pottu kadalai/Roasted channa dal – 1/4 cup
Peanuts – 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon/to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Pori/Puffed rice – 2 cups
Method with step wise pictures:
1) Take a pan (Heavy bottomed Pan is preferred) and heat oil.
2) Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
3) Add curry leaves, dry red chilli, garlic cloves and saute them for few seconds.
4) Add peanuts and roasted channa dal. roast well.
5) Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Toss them for few seconds.
6) Turn the flame to low and add puffed rice (Pori).
7) Mix quickly and thoroughly till the masala gets coated well with the puffed rice.
8) Serve with tea or coffee.
1) serve it for a evening snack with tea/coffee.
1) Make sure to turn off or lower the flame immediate before adding spices and pori.