My family usually don’t prefer soup as a form of appetizer. So, I prepare soup once in a while on dull evenings instead of tea. If it is tea, I definitely serve it with snacks. If I prepare soup, mostly we enjoy it with toasted bread. In the absence of bread, I add bread croutons to the soup to enjoy its delightful taste.
When we stayed outside India, I often buy bread croutons from nearby shops and use it widely. After coming to India, I have searched many supermarkets but I couldn’t find bread croutons anywhere. Finally, ended up making bread croutons on my own as it is very simple and easy to prepare. You can use this in soups as well as in salads.
If you don’t have baking oven at home, you can also toss the bread cubes in a frying pan till it turns hardened, golden brown and crisp.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Makes: 2 cups, approximately
Bread slices – 5 nos, thick and old bread
Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt – to taste
1) Remove the crust from four sides of the breads.
2) Cut into small cubes. Say about 1/2 inch length on each side.
3) Put the cubes in the wide mixing bowl.
4) Add pepper powder, salt and sprinkle olive oil. Toss well.
5) Line the parchment paper in the baking tray.
6) Spread the bread cubes in a single layer. Sprinkle more olive oil if required.
7) Bake it in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes with the temperature of 160C(325F) or till the bread cubes turns firm and golden brown. In each 5 minutes interval, toss the bread cubes for even browning.
8) Allow it to cool to room temperature and store it in a container. Use it whenever required
1) Addition of pepper, salt and olive oil are optional. Without these ingredients, you can bake the bread and make croutons.
2) Baking time differs from oven to oven. It also differs based on the thickness of the bread slices. So make sure to watch your bread croutons at proper intervals.
3) Use thick bread slices for perfect bread croutons.