I could not imagine my cooking without my Amma and grandma. Especially, they helped many of my lazy weekends to prepare something quickly. I only know how many days I simply cooked using the loads of flours they gave me during every visit of mine to my native place. My Mom would make home made floor at my home at Chennai as well everytime when she visits me.
Last Month, my mom showed me the entire process of making Idiyappam flour and asked me to record it for the blog. As I was away from blogging for sometime I just jotted down the steps. I’ll make a “How-to” in near future(Hopefully 🙂 ).
Before using the home made flour, I emptied the store bought one for preparing this egg pepper sevai. Those who don’t like plain idiyappam and for egg lovers, this would be the perfect one. It can also be prepared using the store bought rice noodles.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Serves: 1 person generously
2 cups Plain Idiyappam
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 green chilli
A pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
1 small onion, finely chopped
(about 1/4 heaped cup)
1 large egg
Salt to taste
Subscribe to my Indian Curry Trail Youtube channel for more recipe videos.
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Loosen the idiyappam and break the strings slightly. Using a mixie, make a powder of cumin seeds and pepper seeds. Keep it aside.
2) Heat oil in the pan. Throw mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add curry leaves, asafoetida and slit green chilli.
3) After few seconds, add finely chopped onion. Saute till the onion becomes soft and translucent.
4) Break the egg and add it to the pan. Leave it for few seconds and make a scramble out of it.
5) Once the egg is cooked well, add powdered cumin seeds and black pepper. Add salt. Mix well for few minutes till everything incorporates well.
6) Reduce the flame. Add the idiyappam to the pan.
7) Mix gently till everything incorporates well. Taste and adjust salt.
1) You can add green chilli if you are a spice lover.
2) Take cumin and black pepper in equal quantity.
3) The egg count is absolutely as per your choice. You can adjust it as per your personal preference.