It is been more than 7 years into the blogging. Though I am not consistent here, I have been very actively posting recipes in other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram. I find Instagram very handy as I deal with phone for taking pictures, editing and posting. As I carry the phone everywhere, I utilize almost all my spare time to write or post the pictures in Instagram. I do not wish to say this as an excuse for writing a blog post here. Instead I am trying to plan my work and try to do a blog post at least once in a week.
So, Starting my goal with a Sweet potato cutlet today which I prepared as an evening snack for my kid. This is a great appetizer and can be served as an after school snack for kids. I have added finely chopped vegetables into it so that kids can not trace it. It is one of the best ways of making the kids to eat vegetables. Now let’s see the recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 Cutlets
Sweet potato – 1 large
Carrot – 1/2 cup, grated
Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Beans – 7, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 teaspoon, grated
Garlic – 1 teaspoon, grated
Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Chaat masala – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Wheat flour / Corn flour – 2 tablespoons
Breadcrumbs / Rava / Powdered Oats – 1/4 cup or As required
Oil – for frying
1) Wash and Pressure cook the Sweet potato for three whistles.
2) Once the steam suppresses, peel the skin and mash well without any lumps.
3) Add Carrot, onion, beans, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves. Mix well.
4) Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, chaat masala and salt.
5) Mix well again. The mixture should be thick and you should make a patty out of it. If you are unable to make it, add a teaspoon(or as required) of rice flour.
6) Take a big lemon size ball and pat it as a uniform cutlets.
7) Mix wheat flour or corn flour in required water and dilute it. Spread the breadcrumbs or rava in a wide plate.
8) Take one cutlet at a time coat it using wheat flour mixture and rub it using a breadcrums/rava. Repeat the steps for other cutlets.
9) Shallow or deep fry till both the sides cooked well.
10) Serve with your favorite dip.
1) Sweet potato cutlets are a great appetizer and It can be served in parties or in potluck.
2) It can be served as an after school snack for kids along with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
1) I use rava or powdered oats for coating the cutlet most of the time, instead of breadcrumbs.
2) You can also skip the wheat flour coating and breadcrumbs coating and directly shallow fry the cutlets and serve.
3) Adjust the spicy level according to the personal preference.