Egg Kurma is very typical recipe which is prepared focusing on amateurs in cooking. It goes well with both Rice and Roti. Spices are adding flavour and taste to this recipe and it won’t allow people to say NO to this recipe. It can also be prepared using curd/yogurt instead of coconut. But i don’t like to mix both egg and curd/yogurt in a single gravy and so added coconut.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 Minutes
Egg – 3, boiled
Onion – 1 medium size, sliced
Tomato – 1 large size, sliced
Ginger – 1 inch length, minced
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – 1 string
Coriander leaves – 2 string
Mustard seeds and Urid dal – 1/2 teaspoon
To Roast and Grind:
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch length
Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Cloves – 2 no.,
1) In a pan, dry roast the ingredients given for grinding except coconut.
2) Allow it to cool and grind with grated coconut to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
3) Grind tomato with red chilli powder to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
4) Wipe off the same pan and heat oil in it.
5) When it is hot, add mustard seeds and urid dal. Allow them to splutter.
6) Add curry leaves followed by minced ginger and garlic. Saute for few seconds.
7) Add sliced onions. Saute the onions till they are translucent.
8) Add tomato paste(As mentioned in step 3) and stir fry till the raw smell goes off.
9) Prick the eggs using fork and add them to the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water. If required add more water.
10) Stir and allow it to boil. Add immediately ground coconut(As mentioned in step 2) and stir well.
11) When it comes to slightly thick consistency, remove from heat.
12) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or Roti.