There are many different recipes for Egg Biryani. To my knowledge, different states prepares this dish in different ways thus adding a touch of local flavor and authenticity. I have presented a simple method of preparation which is based on the preparation guidelines of my vegetable biryani with few alterations.
Egg – 3, hard boiled and outer skin removed
Rice – 2 cups
Onion – 1 large size, chopped
Tomato – 2 medium size, chopped
Ginger – 1 inch, chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped
Green chilli – 1 no
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
Coriander leaves – 3 strings
Bay leaves – 1 no
Cardamom – 3 nos
Poppy seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Curd – 2 tablespoons
Salt – to taste
Oil/Ghee/Butter – 3 teaspoons
1) In a blender, add ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, green chilli, cardamom, fennel seeds, poppy seeds and coriander leaves. Grind them to a fine paste and keep it aside.
2) Wash the rice thoroughly twice or thrice and soak it for half an hour.
3) In a kadai / pan, heat a teaspoon of oil and roast the rice. Once roasted, transfer the rice to the bowl and keep it aside.
4) In the pressure cooker, add 3 teaspoons of oil, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add bay leaves.
5) Add onions and saute them well.
6) When onions are translucent in colour, add tomato and saute them till they are completely mashed.
7) Add the ground paste as said in step 1 and keep cooking until you don’t sense the the raw smell.
8) Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and quickly mix the contents.
9) Split the egg in a lengthwise fashion without breaking them and place them in the pressure cooker. Make sure the masala mixes well with the eggs.
10) Add rice and 3.5 cups of water. Also add 2 tablespoons of curd and mix well. Taste for salt and spice and adjust them as it suits your taste.
11) Close the cooker using a lid and wait for 3 whistles.
12) When steam from cooker subsides, stir the cooked rice gently using fork and serve the biryani with raita.
1) If you are using basmati rice, follow the instructions given in the pack for water quantity.