To my knowledge, only few people like the taste of Bitter gourd. People have a concern about its bitterness. You can try this deep fry recipe and you would definitely like it. It reduces the bitterness to some extent. Everyone in my family likes bitter gourd and we usually have it once a week. We cook bitter gourd in many ways among which I have posted my most favorite recipe here.
The recipe just involves 3 simple steps – cut, fry and spice it. The tender bitter gourd works well for this fry. If you find the seeds are big, remove them and you can either cut it into julienne strips or round slices.
Bitter gourd has powerful anti-viral property which helps to improve the immunity system and helps to improve the digestion as well. It’s anti-diabetic properties are good for diabetics patients and helps to reduce the blood sugar levels.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Bitter gourd – 3, large size
Oil – For deep frying
Salt – to taste
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon or to taste
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Wash bitter gourd and wipe using the clean kitchen towel.
2) Cut them into 2 inch length slices and remove the seeds.
3) Cut again into thin slices or julienne strips.
4) After cutting is done, heat oil in a pan.
5) Drop a slice into oil to check the heat of oil.
6) When oil is hot enough, deep fry all the slices in batches.
7) When the colour of turns to darker, take away from oil and put them in a plate covered with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
8) When excess oil drains, transfer to bowl.
9) Sprinkle salt and red chilli powder and mix well.
10) Bitter gourd fry is ready to eat. Bitter gourd lovers can eat this like chips or serve with rice.
1) It is served as a side dish for sambar rice or rasam rice for lunch.
2) It can also be served with roti along with any dal based curries for dinner/lunch.
It has chapathi, dal, bitter gourd fry, potato fry and pomegranate.
1) If you can not tolerate the bitterness of the bitter gourd, just add salt & turmeric powder to it after cutting into pieces, leave it for 15 minutes and then squeeze to extract the excess water. this way we can reduce the bitterness to some extent.
2) my family is fond of bitter gourd and I didn’t do the previous step.