Curd rice or Yogurt rice is the most day to day food of south India. The preparation involves very little time and according to our taste we can change the ingredients keeping the base as yogurt. It is the best lunch box food those days for me and it always pairs with all kind of pickles.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10minutes
Fresh Cooked Rice / Left Over Rice – 1 cup
Curd – 1.5 – 2 cups
Butter Milk – 1/4 cup (optional)
Ginger – 1 inch, chopped very finely
Curry leaves – 2 strings
Dry red chillies – 2 nos
Salt – to taste
Channa Dal – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds and urid dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies – 2 nos, chop them finely.
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Oil – 2 teaspoon
1) In a Bowl, take rice and lightly mash them. If you are using a fresh cooked rice, allow it to cool and mash them.
2) Pour Curd/Yogurt, butter milk to the bowl. Add green chilli,one string curry leaves and salt to taste. Mix well.
3) Now, Take a pan and heat oil in it.
4) When oil is hot, put mustard seeds,urid dal and channa dal.
5) When Mustard seeds splutter up, add dry red chilli and asafoetida.
6) After a second, add ginger and fry them for few minutes.
7) Add remaining curry leaves and turn off the heat.
8) Mix this seasoning with curd rice. Mix well.
9) Serve with Pickle.
1) You can also mix grapes and pomegranate seeds, mango slices and grapes with this to get unique and different taste.