Raw mangoes have started filling the markets over here. So we can assume the mango season has started. Got two raw mangoes to prepare few mango recipes. I often prepare Mango rice whenever I get mango but never got a chance to click the picture as I prepare it most of the time for lunch. But today, I got time to click few pictures of it and now it has come into my blog.
You can use leftover rice too for preparing this rice. In case, if you are cooking rice freshly, then add few teaspoons of gingelly oil to the rice after cooking and spread it in a wide plate to cool to room temperature before mixing it with mango.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: <15 minutes
Serves: 2 persons
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Raw mango – 1/2 cup, grated, tightly packed
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 1 spring, finely chopped, for garnishing, optional
Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds – 5 to 7
Channa dal – 1 teaspoon
Roasted unsalted peanuts – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dry red chillies – 2
Green chillies – 2, sliced
Method with step by step pictures:
1) Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add the ingredients given under seasoning.
2) When channa dal and peanuts starts to turn brown in color, release nice aroma, add grated mango.
3) Fry for a minute. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the raw mango is perfectly cooked.
4) Add cooked rice and mix well till your don’t see any trace of white rice. At the same time, make sure not to break the rice grains.
5) Garnish with coriander leaves.
6) Serve hot.
1) This rice can be served with any dry curries for lunch.
2) It can also be eaten with papad and coconut chutney
1) Add cashew nuts if you prefer.
2) The mango which I used was very tangy and hence I used it in small quantity (1/2 cup) for 2 cups of rice. Adjust the mango quantity based on the taste of the mango.