How to boil whole pigeon peas is a beginners recipe and it helps for those who doesn’t know what to do with the whole pigeon peas. It is one of the easy yet healthy ways to grab all the nutrients of pigeon peas in our diet and it can be served as a healthy evening snack.
This Native Indian Pigeon peas are fresh, harvested before they get dried and some are very tender, sold in the markets of India. These fresh pigeon peas are soaked in water and pressure cooked or boiled in water till the peas becomes soft and outer skin color changes and then served as a snack.
The tender and fresh pigeon peas looks green in colour. The matured pigeon peas turn yellow and dried and skin peeled before they are sold in markets.
These pigeon peas are rich in protein, dietary fiber and various vitamins.
Shelling the fresh pigeon peas is kind of meditation according to me. Sitting in the terrace or balcony in the evening with a bowl of boiled pigeon peas, hearing some good music or informative video would give me pleasure that is equivalent of an meditation.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
4 cups whole Fresh pigeon peas
1 cup water
1 tsp rock salt or to taste
Subscribe to my Indian Curry Trail youtube channel for more recipe videos.
Method with step by step pictures:
1. Wash the pigeon peas for 3 or 4 times in a water. Make sure there is no dust/mud in the peas.
2. Add the washed pigeon peas to a pressure cooker.
3. Spread it evenly within the pressure cooker.
4. Add a cup of water. No need to immerse the peas using the water. little water is enough to cook it.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Shake it well so that the salt mixes well with the pigeon peas.
7. Close the pressure cooker using the id.
8. Pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles. Pigeon peas usually cooks well for 2 whistle itself.
9. Let the pressure release automatically.
10. Open the lid and sightly press the pigeon peas and check if the seeds are coming out very easily. if yes, then it cooked perfectly.
11. Serve hot.
1. Boiled pigeon peas are very good snack which can be served as an evening snack.
1. You can soak pigeon peas for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then pressure cook for juicy peas.
2. Pressure cooked pigeon peas stays good for 2 days if stored in refrigerator and 1 day in room temperature.