Today’s recipe is very straight forward without any blah blah stories. Here you go with the chicken biryan which is cooked with yogurt.
This recipe does suite well if you need to prepare it with the less amount of time. I added chicken pieces without marination. If you would like to do so, just marinate them in mixture of yogurt, red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, garlic paste and turmeric powder.
Preparation Time: 20minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 2-3
Chicken – 400 grams
Basmathi Rice – 1.5 cups
Onion – 1/2 cup, lengthwise chopped
Tomato – 1 medium size
Red chilli powder – 2 teaspoon / to taste
Salt – to taste
Yogurt – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cups
Bay leaves – 1 leaf
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon – 1 teaspoon (optional)
Oil – 1.5 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
To grind and make a paste:
Onion – 1/4 cup
Tomato – 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1inch piece
Garlic – 2 cloves
Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 2
1) Wash chicken pieces and keep it aside.
2) Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes and keep it aside.
3) In a blender, grind the ingredients given for grinding and make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
4) In a cooker/pan, heat oil.
5) Add fennel seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon stick when it is hot.
6) When fennel seeds become brown, add onion and saute till they are translucent.
7) Add tomatoes and saute till they completely mashes.
8) Add ground paste and red chilli powder and salt. Stir fry till the raw smell goes off.
9) Add chicken pieces and cook till the chicken pieces are half cooked. No need to add water. Chicken itself releases water from it and cook well.
10) Lower the flame to low and cook again for few minutes. Now, add rice and mix well.
11) Add yogurt, water. Taste it to salt and spice and adjust accordingly.
12) Close the cooker using lid and cook for 2-3 whistles.(Based on your rice type). If you are using pan, cover using a lid till the rice cooked well.
13) Wait till the pressure releases from cooker and open the lid. Squeeze out the lemon juice.
14) Mix gently with ladle and garnish with coriander leaves.
15) Serve hot with raitha.
1) Fresh Yogurt suits well to this recipe well. however, if you are using sour curd/yogurt and very sour tomato, no need to use lemon. This will increase the sourness of the rice. In this case, use lemon based on rice taste.
2) Add little higher than the usual quantity of red chilli powder, because yogurt reduces the spiciness from biryani.
aromatic looking chicken biryani deliciously done
Love the blend of ings!!! As im a veggie, shall try it out with eggs!!!
Flavourful & delicious biryani…liked ur cute bowl!!
Delicious and flavorful biryani,looks so inviting.
Tempting biryani…looks delicious..
Delicious and love the pics ..
I almost feel like like grabbing that chicken slice, it just pops out. Delicious………… briyani.
Yummmm!! Biryani always makes my mouth water
Love Biryani in any form and this looks yum…
Delicious Biryani.. I dont grind onions.. sounds new.. will try some time this way..
yummy looking biriyani dear….awesome presentation!
wonderful biriyani dear, sounds very simple and easy to make, liked the recipe a lot..
Wow.. awesome pictures so inviting.. superb recipe.. thanks for sharing.
very delicious looking biryani…very nice recipe n sounds easy too….very neat presentation Uma…last but not the least u tempted me a lot though i finished my lunch just before i am feeling hungry now 🙂 super o super..