Cauliflower / Gobi is a delicious side dish that many of us like. Cauliflower is low in fat, but high in dietary fibre, water and vitamin C. Here I present a simple cauliflower dish that is prepared using coconut.
Cauliflower – 1 small size, cut into small florets
Onion – 1 medium size, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 large
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Green chili – 1 no
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Dhania / Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – To taste
Oil – 3 teaspoons
1) Soak the cauliflower florets in hot water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover it and leave it aside for 10 minutes.
2) After 10 minutes, drain the water and keep them aside.
3) Take a pan and heat oil in it.
4) Add fennel seeds.
5) Once they splutter, add onion and saute them well till they turn translucent.
6) Add tomato and saute them well until they are mashed completely.
7) Add Cauliflower florets followed by red chili powder, dhania powder, sambar masala, turmeric and salt. If required add little bit water.
8) Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
9) Grind the coconut, cumin seeds and green chilli into a fine paste by adding little amount of water.
10) Add this paste to the cauliflower mixture and hustle them well.
11) Fry for 5 minutes. If you have added water, make sure it drains completely before turning the flame off.
12) Garnish with coriander leaves and your Cauliflower Poriyal is ready to be served.