Avarakkai Poriyal is prepared in two ways. One by adding chili powder and another one just by using dry chilies. First one goes well with Roti / Chappathi. The second one is best suited for Rice. Here, I shall discuss about the first recipe that is prepared using chili powder.
Flat beans / Avarakkai – 180 Grams
Onion – 1 small size, finely chopped
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Split urid dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 1 string
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Red chili / Masala powder – 1 full teaspoon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
1) Wash the flat beans twice. Remove the edges from both the sides and the fibres (naar in Tamil). Then cut them into small pieces.
2) Boil the flat beans using 1/2 cup of water with salt. You can also microwave it for 4 minutes just by adding salt.
3) Take a frying pan and heat the oil.
4) Add mustard seeds and urid dal. Let the seeds splutter.
5) Add curry leaves and onion and saute them well till they turn translucent.
6) Add cooked flat beans, salt to taste, red chilly powder and turmeric powder.
7) Fry them for few minutes and add grated coconuts.
8) Mix well and wait for 20 seconds. Then remove from stove.
9) Avarakkai Poriyal is ready to serve now.