For me, Getting a 4 continuous holiday in IT is like seeing a miracle in the world. Gandhi Jayanthi, Pooja holiday and Weenend all came together this time and with full of fun, I planned many activities to do this weekend.
Bad luck on me, I was totally down with giddiness and vomiting which collapsed all my plans I made to do on the weekend. Even today I am not completely recovered. Just for a change and to kill the tired, laziness and to gain some refreshment, I am up here with my gandma’s Urad dal laddu.
These laddus often come as one of the recipes for any festival. Since it is a healthy and easy to prepare (Just 3 ingredients) we prepare it for snacking also.
It would also act as energy balls during the long journey either by train or car. Only the roasting part of the urad dal takes longer time. But, I make the job easier by roasting it in advance and store it in airtight container. Whenever I want to make laddus, I just warm it up, make a powder of it, add powdered sugar and ghee and make my job easier.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10-12 laddus
Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu – 1 cup
Granulated sugar – 1/2 heaped cup
Ghee – 1/3 cup or as required
1) In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the urad dal till it releases nice aroma and turns nice golden brown colour. Be patient and roast the dal well for nice flavour and aroma.
2) Transfer it to a wide plate and let it cool for sometime.
3) Meanwhile, grind the sugar into a powder using a mixie. Transfer the powdered sugar to a wide bowl.
4) Now, the roasted urad dal would have cooled down.
5) Put it in the mixie and grind it to a fine powder. (If you require smooth urad dal powder, sift the ground urad dal and again make a powder of the grains that remains. Repeat the procedure till you get smooth urad dal powder.)
6) Transfer the powdered urad dal to the same bowl of sugar. Mix well.
7) Heat ghee and add to the bowl slowly and make laddus.
8) Let it cool to room temperature and store in a clean container. It stays good up to a week at room temperature.
1) You can add some chopped nuts to this. But traditional Urad dal Laddu doesn’t have nuts in it.
2) Roasting the urad dal is important here. Make sure to roast it evenly for perfect tasting Laddus.