Musk melon was introduced to me only when I moved to my Aunt’s home, Chennai. During summer, I happened to see this fruit in markets and asked her about it. She said it is ‘Kirni’ and bought one. She prepared a drink using it without blending it. She just scooped out the flesh and added cold water and sugar. She gave me a glass of it which I never tasted before. It was mild, creamy and chill. Also, she said it is available only during summer days. It is called as Muskmelon or Cantaloupe in English and Mulam pazham or Kirni pazham in tamil.
After tasting and liking the taste, I started drinking it daily at my office canteen during summer days and ask for orange coloured one before I order. I love the orange coloured muskmelon a lot. To prepare a muskmelon juice for my blog, I searched for the orange coloured muskmelon in the market, but I didn’t get one. So, I compromised myself with the white one to prepare this juice.
Before buying it, just smell the fruit and also see if it has stem. If you sense its smell and find the stem is not attached to it, then the fruit is ripe and ready to prepare juice. This is the tip from my aunt which she told me ten years before. 🙂
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 persons
Musk melon / Cantaloupe / Mulam Pazham / Kirni Pazham – 1 no, medium size
Sugar – 3 tablespoons
Water / Milk – 1 cup, boiled and chilled
Green Cardamom – 2 nos, optional
1) Wash and wipe the musk melon. Cut into two halves. scrap out the seeds first. Then, using a spoon scoop out the flesh part. I got about 2 cups of flesh from one musk melon.
2) Put this flesh to a blender/Juicer.
3) Add sugar and cardamom(If using). Blend it for few seconds.
4) Add milk or water and blend again for 1 minute.
5) Serve immediately if you use milk. If you have added water, then store in refrigerator till ready to serve.
1) Drink the juice immediately if you have added milk to it. Otherwise it gives slight bitter taste.
2) Addition of cardamom is optional. My Parents-in-law like the juice with cardamom, so I added it.